Ever Had a Small Job Go To The Next Day??

General Discussion. Make yourself at home...read, ask and answer!

No Turning Back

USA
PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2021 10:27 pm
Hi Guys,

Shot a tank, 2 fenders and a small oil tank (bike stuff) today. Thought it would be a simple 2 hour thing from the get go. First, a little piece of lint hits the tank in the first coat of base. No biggee, I hit it with the tac cloth--no moving. I wait 15 min and then brush it off with a 500 grit. So far so good. All looks good as I am ready for the second coat of base. Shoot it and as I hang the oil tank it hits my paint suite in 4 places!! I know I could clean it all off but decide to wait 'till tomorrow and sand it and shoot t again--I'll give all the parts a quick 500 grit and re-shoot the base. it will be a better job but, I thought I could just finish it off today--anyone else have one of these days? I'm just an armature so, I don't have a schedule to meet. Just venting.

Top Contributor
Australia
PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2021 11:06 pm
Yeah mate. Daily.
Chris

Fully Engaged
USA
PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2021 7:30 am
My day last Saturday.

Painted the shell on the Camaro in the Pro Stock Tribute thread and had to work in a very tight area on the PS. Left a hose strike on roof edge on the base coat. This job is for love not money on a race car that will sit in a trailer and win at the strip not shows. I got it doctored up and moved onto the clear. Last coat of clear, another hose strike that could only be fixed by flooding the area. It left a family sized run but I was able to fix it up.

I’m using a home made turbine set up and the hose I am using is not ideal. Both areas of the roof problems were right where the car is sitting between lift post so that did not help.

Sucks when you have to move project to make $$$, keep people happy and make up the lost time in the shop. My cousin, the owner of the Camaro deals with this in the mechanical repair world.

JT

No Turning Back

USA
PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2021 5:24 pm
Finished it off the other day......very happy with the end result--hope the owner will be tomorrow. https://photos.app.goo.gl/s6NMrPrYPvRNH9Bk8

Fully Engaged
USA
PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2021 8:17 pm
Very nice
What is the color?

JT

No Turning Back

USA
PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2021 8:43 pm
RamblerRacer wrote:Very nice
What is the color?

JT
Ford color, goes by Candy Red, Sangria Red, or Toreadore Red, all the same PPG code, depending on the model/year it was on. Slightest bit of flake in it when the light hits it. Looks a bit darker in person but I like it. You really have to stare at it in the right light to see the slightest bit of peel--without bragging, I feel I have the gun settings just about bang on. Of course, speed, temp, distance and pressure could mess all that up so I fully understand that this is a learning experience and the next job could all go south but, at least I am learning along the way. Oh, and I am shooting in a small garage with 3 heaters keeping it at 70' with a small window open at the back and the garage door cracked open--less than perfect ventilation. I need a booth, LOL! Starting a 12 piece HD bike next week, going to be a BUG job for me but am looking forward to the learning curve of this trade. My hat is off to the guys that do this as a job and consistently bang out flawless work.

Fully Engaged
USA
PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2021 8:55 pm
Dude you and I are painting spirit brothers.
If you look at the space I’m painting in you would laugh.
Again, love the color and paint work.

Can Do is my attitude and in the case of the ProStock Camaro project the results will far exceed what the conditions would deem possible.

Working on the first mask and stripe phase.

Results will be posted in a couple days

Top Contributor
PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2021 10:30 pm
i'm so use to it that it doesn't bother me anymore. it always seems to happen on a freebie or small quick job.
Jay D.
they say my name is Jay

No Turning Back

USA
PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2021 9:03 pm
Rebel Racing wrote:Finished it off the other day......very happy with the end result--hope the owner will be tomorrow. https://photos.app.goo.gl/s6NMrPrYPvRNH9Bk8
Owner picked them up --very happy. Glad to get it out since I was afraid of marking it, LOL.

Return to Body and Paint