My driver's side mirror got hit!

General Discussion. Make yourself at home...read, ask and answer!

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2021 5:34 pm
Thanks to the snow we currently have in Boston, many residential streets are a bit narrower than usual. As a result, last week when I got to my parked 2016 Camry I discovered that the side mirror on the driver's side was hit.

The mirror is now cracked due to my fidgeting with it after its cover got hit. And a small piece of the plastic that's outside the mirror, at the bottom, cracked off. But everything else seems to be intact, as far as I can see. For example, I can still fold the mirror cover in and fold it out. And the motor still seems to be working.

After asking around, it seems like I'll have to get a whole new side mirror assembly, including the arm that attaches to the door even though that part is not broken. Is this true? I've attached some photos below.

Board Moderator
USA
PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2021 6:50 pm
Would not be surprised.... a lot of these things are kind of like modules that are plug and play. So is this not going through insurance? If it's not I'd do something like this.... http://www.car-parts.com I looked up your mirror and found them from $80 to about $160 so. Makes a difference if it has the blind spot option, etc. So many of those Camrys were sold you might even be able to find one in your paint code.
Metal, wood, fiberglass, we work it all... www.furniturephysicians.com We can restore the irreplaceable!

Top Contributor
USA
PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2021 12:33 pm
I just ordered one from Ebay for a Camery w/ all options for $78.00.
It looks identical to original but does have to be painted.
The dealer wanted over $350.00.
I've used several aftermarket ones in the past year for various cars
and couldn't tell the difference from the original equipment ones.
JC.

(It's not custom painting-it's custom sanding)

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2021 1:53 pm
DarrelK wrote:Would not be surprised.... a lot of these things are kind of like modules that are plug and play. So is this not going through insurance? If it's not I'd do something like this.... http://www.car-parts.com I looked up your mirror and found them from $80 to about $160 so. Makes a difference if it has the blind spot option, etc. So many of those Camrys were sold you might even be able to find one in your paint code.

DarrelK,

Unfortunately, the insurance I chose has a $1000 deductible.

I'm going to search that website you kindly provided. Thanks!

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2021 1:54 pm
JCCLARK wrote:I just ordered one from Ebay for a Camery w/ all options for $78.00.
It looks identical to original but does have to be painted.
The dealer wanted over $350.00.
I've used several aftermarket ones in the past year for various cars
and couldn't tell the difference from the original equipment ones.

JCCLARK,

I hear you. But I have a weakness for OEM products. But if I do not find what I want I'll take your route. Thanks!

Return to Body and Paint