Can someone review this tech sheet for me

General Discussion. Make yourself at home...read, ask and answer!

Settled In

United Kingdom
PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2021 9:17 am
https://buyat.ppg.com/Refinish_SSA/Comm ... 60.0200%27

I am just trying to work out an orange peel problem, but looking at the TDS it says 3 -3.5 Bar "at the gun",does that not seem absolutely insane?? or am I reading the sheet wrong?

This is Max Mayer 0200 HS Clear

Board Moderator
USA
PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2021 9:38 am
But that is reading under the "Conventional Gun" column. That is not a reference to HVLP, RP, LVLP, etc.....
Metal, wood, fiberglass, we work it all... www.furniturephysicians.com We can restore the irreplaceable!

Settled In

United Kingdom
PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2021 9:44 am
Hi Darrel

What is a "convention gun" exactly ... sorry to sound dumb

There is a column next to saying "High transfer efficiency" , I assume that's not HVLP either

So basically - The tech sheet is zero use to me to find out their recommended HVLP setting then - just a case of working it out my self with what works.

I only asked as I thought hmm, maybe this is why I'm getting orange peel because they suggest 3 bar. so I am glad I checked

Board Moderator
USA
PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2021 10:57 am
A "conventional gun" is just an old style gun like we used to have back in the good old days. No HVLP, No RP, No LVLP, No HE, just a regular non-efficient spray gun using standard compressed air. Something like this.... https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Paint- ... SwhIRgPRyT
They did indeed operate up in those much higher pressure ranges and were air hogs when it came to CFM as well.
You know, there is a telephone number listed on the last page of that last sheet. See if you can get a tech. person to talk to you.
Metal, wood, fiberglass, we work it all... www.furniturephysicians.com We can restore the irreplaceable!

Top Contributor
Australia
PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2021 7:07 pm
DarrelK wrote:A "conventional gun" is just an old style gun like we used to have back in the good old days. No HVLP, No RP, No LVLP, No HE,

and no OP.

fabio1605 wrote:There is a column next to saying "High transfer efficiency" , I assume that's not HVLP either

You need to understand that the whole concept of HVLP was something conceived and developed in the USA as a means of reducing overspray going into the atmosphere. In Europe and the rest of the world the more efficient RP gun type was adopted. Manufacturers do, however, produce HVLP variants to cater to the North American market where, in some areas, HVLP is mandated.

ANI produce two variants of the R160 gun, HVLP and HPS. HPS is their terminology for RP/Reduced Pressure/High Transfer Efficiency. However, you need to also understand that the improved transfer efficiency of both HVLP and RP systems is achieved at the cost of finish quality. Pressures are reduced which then contributes to orange peel in the finish.
Note that with HVLP pressures are reduced internally through the use of larger air passages or holes in the spreader and air cap while RP achieves this through lower inlet pressures.

Here is a screenshot of the R160 manual, relating to pressures:
R160.jpeg

Note that the recommended pressures, at the inlet, are 32psi for HPS and 37.7psi for HVLP. These are not necessarily the pressures needed for the best finish, only those for the gun to meet the relevant standards. Depending on the gun you can sometimes add between 30% and 50% to those recommendations to get to a high quality finish setup. The recommendations are also based on a lower viscosity paint than the HS clear that you're using and , of course, assume standard 20-25C ambient, paint and panel temperatures. If it's colder the you need to thin the paint a little and/or increase pressures, as you do to compensate for the higher viscosity of HS clear.

Looking at the pictures from your other threads I note that you are painting vertical panel(s). Getting a super flat finish on a vertical panel is much more difficult than on a horizontal panel since the paint wants to run down and create peel, rather then flow out evenly. Also, as I've mentioned before, peel in your basecoat will just be amplified in your clear.
Chris

Return to Body and Paint