Clear Intercoat Needed over Catalyzed Base?

General Discussion. Make yourself at home...read, ask and answer!

Fully Engaged

USA
PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2021 6:13 pm
Before I lay on some stripes over orange solid base I was going to shoot a coat or two of intercoat to protect the base from the masking tape and stencils. If I am using hardener in my base will that be enough to protect the base from tape damage without using the interclear?

Also, since intercoat is basically a clear basecoat wouldn't the interclear be possibly damaged by the tape anyway?

Thanks guys.

Top Contributor
Australia
PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2021 7:06 pm
The problem with basecoat is that it is soft and easily damaged. Even a little P1500 scratching will be visible through the clear as the lay of the flake is disturbed. With solid colours it is possible to tape (carefully and only once dry) but not with metallics or pearls. Adding a little hardener (usually only about 5%) to base does improve its ability to withstand stone chipping but doesn't do much for its propensity for surface damage.

An intercoat clear provides the protective layer over the surface of your base to help prevent damage. If the surface of the intercoat clear is damaged (mildly, say to grey Scotch scratching levels) it won't show through since the next coat will fill the scratches and the underlying metallic or pearl has not been disturbed.
Chris

Fully Engaged

USA
PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2021 8:38 pm
Thanks, I'll stick with my original plan!

Top Contributor
USA
PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2021 12:28 pm
you wont see the tape lines on the intercoat, but youll have to harden that as well if you did the base,
Experienced Trained Certified

SATA Spray Equipment Germany
Axalta ChromaBase Elite Standox Imron 5000 6000
PPG Delfeet Deltron Global Matthews
Sherwin Williams Ultra 7000 Genesis
Valspar DeBeer LIC
Akzo Nobel Sikkens Lesonal

Fully Engaged

USA
PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2021 2:37 pm
And I did use hardener. I figure why not? FWIW, the stencil did leave a residue on the interclear but I can't see any evidence of it in the clearcoat.

Return to Body and Paint