Tamco 5311

General Discussion. Make yourself at home...read, ask and answer!

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2021 12:06 pm
so does anyone here use this product the 5311
its a dtm and direct to rust primer ..

website reviews one person say they use it in a 2.0mm gun i was wondering
if it would work in a 1.8 primer gun because thats what i have

Fully Engaged

USA
PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2021 2:24 pm
I just logged in to ask about 5311 myself.

Obviously it’s a DTM primer but I’m curious about whether it’s considered a high build primer. I’ve been wanting to try a high builder DTM for a while.

Edit: just re read the description on tamco site and it definitely sounds like what I’m looking for

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2021 2:50 pm
yeah it sounds like a good product
im thinking about getting that and some of their black base coat..
still not sure if that primer will go through out of a 1.8mm tip or not maybe reduced ?
if not guess ill get me a 2.0mm primer gun

Board Moderator
USA
PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2021 3:44 pm
Okay, so this is like a guess....but I will say a well educated guess. We used this on my truck project.... https://tamcofinishes.com/collections/p ... -epoxy-kit
It was listed right there on that same primer page and then Tamco moved it over to their marine paints division.
We start the application here on page 5... viewtopic.php?f=12&t=27971&start=40
Now, I not only sprayed this with a 1.8 this was a 1.8 tip on a turbine sprayer gun with a 6 stage turbine powering it. I have generally found that most of the Tamco stuff can tolerate somewhat of a smaller tip or maybe just a splash more reducer when you do that.....
Metal, wood, fiberglass, we work it all... www.furniturephysicians.com We can restore the irreplaceable!

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2021 3:56 pm
DarrelK wrote:Okay, so this is like a guess....but I will say a well educated guess. We used this on my truck project.... https://tamcofinishes.com/collections/p ... -epoxy-kit
It was listed right there on that same primer page and then Tamco moved it over to their marine paints division.
We start the application here on page 5... viewtopic.php?f=12&t=27971&start=40
Now, I not only sprayed this with a 1.8 this was a 1.8 tip on a turbine sprayer gun with a 6 stage turbine powering it. I have generally found that most of the Tamco stuff can tolerate somewhat of a smaller tip or maybe just a splash more reducer when you do that.....

wow thanks for the help sir

Fully Engaged

USA
PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2021 8:53 pm
I’m kinda confused, I just ordered this: https://tamcopaint.com/collections/prim ... dta-primer

Board Moderator
USA
PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2021 9:41 pm
So that is a high build 2k acrylic surfacer, no problems. The stuff I was showing was epoxy based. I think Tamco is pushing what you bought more because it is easier to handle and spray. They moved that high build epoxy over to their marine paints.
Metal, wood, fiberglass, we work it all... www.furniturephysicians.com We can restore the irreplaceable!

Fully Engaged

USA
PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2021 9:48 pm
I probably would’ve bought the epoxy if I saw it. I actually had saw your thread before but forgot it was a tamco product you used.

The description for the product I ordered says it’s a DTM but builds like polyester...we shall see.

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2021 10:35 pm
i also ordered some 5311 so ill also see how it works

No Turning Back
USA
PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2021 12:45 pm
CD82 wrote:i also ordered some 5311 so ill also see how it works

The Tamco 53xx series is a great product and easy to apply. It does build, but not as much as something like the G2FF (Feather Fill)

No problem spraying it out of a 1.8 tip, try it first as the tech sheet specs then reduce if you need to. I doubt that you will need to reduce it as you will be sanding on it anyways.

The last time that I used the Tamco HB epoxy it was a little cooler and it did not harden after 24 hours. Tammy later told me that was an issue with that product.

Great company to work with.
Sent by the random thoughts from the voices in my head...
Next

Return to Body and Paint