Should clear by lashed on

General Discussion. Make yourself at home...read, ask and answer!

Settled In

United Kingdom
PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2021 1:42 pm
Just a question. And I'm sorry it's so vague

When spraying clear on test panels.. I tend to lay it on thick to mess around with it looking at the patterns. But then I tend to see it flows out nice and flat with no peel.

Is this really how clear should be laid down anyway....nice and thick so it can move its self and flow out? Or is this not how you should be laying it?

Just example today. I laid some on a test panel... It was a bit orange peely. Went over it again with in 10 seconds of first coat and started to see it laying down quite nicely.

But I don't know if Its looking right because these is that much of it and this isn't how you should he laying it down to begin with?

Am I right in saying you really need to find that balance of not to thick that it runs... But thick enough so that it can lay flat. In a nut shell you need to be 'not afraid' to put it down nice and thick?

I painted the side of my car the other day... And the clear was one turn in from wide open. 1.4 gun. Flg5.. 30psi...20 degrees c and utlimately wasn't the flattest clear coat I had done. But in turn started asking my self. Should I be spraying clear wide open on the fluid and just moving faster instead (faster I move less time the gun has to push away the clear I've just laid right? )

Top Contributor
Australia
PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2021 5:09 pm
fabio1605 wrote:Am I right in saying you really need to find that balance of not to thick that it runs... But thick enough so that it can lay flat. In a nut shell you need to be 'not afraid' to put it down nice and thick?

Nailed it. :goodjob:
Chris

Settled In

United Kingdom
PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2021 5:57 pm
And also.

Being to close causes the clear to 'blow away'
Being to far causes the clear to dry and become... Hard before landing
To high pressure causes the clearl to also... Blow away
To low pressure cusses the peel to.... Not atomize.

The thing that faults me is YouTube.

When I see the pros doing it.... There speed left to right is so high so I automatically think.... You need to lay it on thin....

But we don't know how much thinners they are using. And where the fluid is.... They could have fluid wide open. No thinners... Am I on the right tracks here...

Hopefully I am getting there!

Board Moderator
USA
PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2021 2:16 pm
Ahhhh.... Youtube...... do this.... don't watch anybody spraying anything on Youtube for one month. Just keep experimenting and thinking like you currently are and you will get there, just like we had to back before all this internet crap appeared. Find some books printed in the 1990s and up through the 2000s and "read" how guys are telling you to setup and test your gun patterns. I learned to spray from "live instructors" and the books and product sheets they had me get..... I am just asking kick the Youtube habit for a month and watch yourself get it figured out....
Metal, wood, fiberglass, we work it all... www.furniturephysicians.com We can restore the irreplaceable!

No Turning Back

USA
PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2021 7:02 pm
DarrelK wrote:Ahhhh.... Youtube...... do this.... don't watch anybody spraying anything on Youtube for one month. Just keep experimenting and thinking like you currently are and you will get there, just like we had to back before all this internet crap appeared. Find some books printed in the 1990s and up through the 2000s and "read" how guys are telling you to setup and test your gun patterns. I learned to spray from "live instructors" and the books and product sheets they had me get..... I am just asking kick the Youtube habit for a month and watch yourself get it figured out....
I'm confident that there is a lot of mis-information on YouTube but I have learned some from The Gunman--a Ozzy pro painter. Never heard anything bad about his advise. Just my thoughts. Having said that, I have learned as much if not more from the senior members on this forum.

Top Contributor
PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2021 3:12 am
DarrelK wrote:Ahhhh.... Youtube...... do this.... don't watch anybody spraying anything on Youtube for one month. Just keep experimenting and thinking like you currently are and you will get there, just like we had to back before all this internet crap appeared. Find some books printed in the 1990s and up through the 2000s and "read" how guys are telling you to setup and test your gun patterns. I learned to spray from "live instructors" and the books and product sheets they had me get..... I am just asking kick the Youtube habit for a month and watch yourself get it figured out....

this is some seriously solid advise. although i had the net and YT. YT could have another channel- Youre Screwed- a place for backyard hacks that dont know what they are doing. :)
i stuck with advice on a forum. spent a lot of time on a scrap hood with mismatched paint and the cheapest clear i could get. i didnt complicate it- set up my gun-fan,fluid control, pressure. adjusted gun travel to that until i was satisfied.

Top Contributor
Australia
PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2021 3:30 am
DarrelK wrote:Ahhhh.... Youtube...... do this.... don't watch anybody spraying anything on Youtube......

The problem is that there is both good advice and bad and it is almost impossible for the novice to work out which is which. Exactly the reason why I started this thread so that people can watch videos that have been reviewed by members here as offering decent advice.

Rebel Racing wrote:I have learned some from The Gunman--a Ozzy pro painter.

Yeah, Gunnie's not bad but doesn't really explain technique and tricks very well. IMHO this guy does a better job of explaining.
Chris

Settled In

United Kingdom
PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2021 5:48 pm
Agree with Chris.

Gunman is good. But doesn't explain anything. He is more good for people who know how to spray and just want to see products in action.

I have to consistently ask him what psi is uses in different reviews(cos I'm a novice and like people to tell me so I have a ball park figure to start with) .

Credit to him.he always replies.

Return to Body and Paint