Would you be happy paying for this?

General Discussion. Make yourself at home...read, ask and answer!

Settled In

United Kingdom
PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2021 1:49 pm
3 years ago. I had an accident and a professional shop repaired my wing.

At the time. It looked fine to me. I'd never even heard of orange peel before and even picked up a spray gun in my life

But this week I resprayed the entire side of my car except the front wing.

After some cutting and buffing I got some great results... But then I looked at the front wing (that was painted by a 'pro' and noticed how dull it was)

Now I have never even noticed this before. But more recently as I'm learning to spray things start to stand out more as you get that eye for detail.

The blurry photo... Was done a professional

The other. Was done by me.

The question is... Is the work he did. A crap job? Or is this just the standard and what anyone would be happy with?

Also...

Lastly.i have no chance of cutting and buffing his work do I? As I have no idea how many coats of clear he laid down... The best option would be to sand 800....lay 3 coats of clear. And cut and buff if needed. Is that correct? What are your views?
Attachments
IMG-20210402-WA0018.jpeg
IMG-20210402-WA0020.jpeg

Top Contributor
Australia
PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2021 5:00 pm
Congratulations. Took a bit of practice but you got there.

I don't think there's any need to wet sand the guard - just hit it with the buff and it will probably shine up to match the other panels.

In production shops there is the constant pressure to get cars out the door because margins are low with rates dictated by insurance companies, so volumes need to be high to compensate. Ideal flash off times are not always observed and things get baked at the minimum necessary. What you see on your guard is fairly common and, as above, easily fixed.
Chris

Settled In

United Kingdom
PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2021 5:58 pm
It's been buffed before with g3 with no luck...

May hit it wet with 2-2500 lightly.... Then go with another g3

I don't know how much clear they put on so worries il cut through

Fully Engaged
PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2021 8:18 am
Nothing wrong with the professionals job, yes itcould be buffed up a bit shinier.

Mirror finish paint jobs can easily cost double of that of a normal of the gun finish as a lot of work is involved in levelling and buffing.

From what I understand insurance companies dont pay repairers enough to even come close to this.

Steve

Return to Body and Paint