different brand primer than base coat

General Discussion. Make yourself at home...read, ask and answer!

Non-Lurker

USA
PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2021 7:37 pm
Hello All and thanks for letting me join. Im new to the site and I guess you can say new to painting since its been since 1994. I'm prepping the body now and will be priming hopefully in a couple of weeks. I'm looking at using TCP global urethane base coat Daytona Blue Pearl 2510 it states that I should use a white base coat prior to color. Can I use a white primer in place of that and if so can I use a different brand primer for TCP I can't find white primer on their site.
Thanks in advance
Fred

Top Contributor
PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2021 11:00 pm
sure the white primer would work. but your going to want it even, no sand throughs no discolored areas from sanding. what i do if I'm in that predicament is just buy a qt of white base, its cheep. this way you get a nice even clean coat of white base for your top coat. the last one i did was a yellow. it was very transparent and i had a few blems in the white, they stuck out like a sore thumb never could cover them. different brand primers are fine.
Jay D.
they say my name is Jay

Board Moderator
USA
PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2021 7:50 am
Yeah, I'd agree with that. Depending on a "light" colored primer for something like this is a little bit of a roll of the dice. Bite the bullet, do the white base as the product sheet says..... And, have you used the TCP Global base coats before?..... I have, not too wild about them. Also, shipping is a crap shoot with them. Half of my orders arrived damaged with crushed and partially opened containers.
Metal, wood, fiberglass, we work it all... www.furniturephysicians.com We can restore the irreplaceable!

Board Moderator
PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2021 8:18 am
I agree with both of the above posts.

The white base will need look like the finished product. You will need to approach this as the vehicle will be white when done and make sure it is perfect and consistent.

Get better quality products for your paint especially when shooting a pearl.
Personally, I like Automotive Art Motobase LV, it sprays great and covers extremely well. Very reasonably priced and gets shipped to me door in a 3 days from Michigan.

These two projects are done in Motobase:
Blue Spruce Pearl
Clear 2 cto rt cab.JPG

Two tone:
Painted.JPG

I order it from http://www.autorodtechnologies.com/chad ... -and-audio
1968 Coronet R/T

ACTS 16:31

Return to Body and Paint