How Soon to Apply Masking Tape?

General Discussion. Make yourself at home...read, ask and answer!

Fully Engaged

USA
PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2021 4:17 pm
I searched and found many references on how soon to remove masking tape after spraying but how soon can I apply the tape before shooting? I have less than a couple hours each evening to mask and might take three evenings or so before I actually start shooting in the morning. Is three days too long to have it on the car?

Top Contributor
Australia
PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2021 7:31 pm
Depends on the quality of the tape and the ambient temperatures. There are some very good long term tapes out there but they are hellishly expensive ($15/roll here). Some good automotive masking tapes as well that I wouldn't be concerned about leaving on for a few days. Again, the better brands are your best bet.

This one I'm using at the moment is remarkably good and not too dear:
https://www.autorepairsdirect.com.au/a/masking-tape-1/gpi-velocity/vic/cranbourne/bodyworx-evo-green-masking-tape-18mm/100235399

and, of course, there's always 3M.

Usually the long term tapes have a slightly waxy backing, rather than paper that's on normal masking tape. That's to stop the solvents in the adhesive from escaping and the glue drying out and sticking to your job.
Chris

Top Contributor
PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2021 11:56 pm
:goodpost: i've used the good 3M for 2-3 days with no problems, good 3m buy it at an autobody jobber, not Walmart. be sure you check places where you may have had to bend the tape in a curve or around something to make sure its still laying down flat.
Jay D.
they say my name is Jay

Top Contributor
USA
PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2021 9:58 pm
69-er wrote:Is three days too long to have it on the car?

I too have left 3M tape on for several days with no ill effects.
It was in a cool garage though, so don't leave it out in the sun or let it get
hot.
Try a test strip on your project and see if it pulls off cleanly after a few days.
"If you can't move it, paint it." - U.S. Army

Fully Engaged

USA
PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2021 8:51 am
Thanks guys, since I am using green 3M tape that gives me an idea what to expect.

Return to Body and Paint