It Doesn't pay To Rush--I'm Learning!!

General Discussion. Make yourself at home...read, ask and answer!

No Turning Back

USA
PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2021 8:30 pm
Hi Guys,

Took on a small bike job during my shop build--first mistake! 1 fender, a fairling and 2 side covers--all HD stuff. Owner does not want a strip job, I give them a 220 grit sanding and then a 1k rattle can primer that I always get from my auto body paint supplier. Sand to 400 grit. Shoot base in very poor light in my new booth-trying to rush the job before my lights arrive--second mistake. Look it all over and, light spots. Now, I know I need add more base so that means a light sanding and then more base since it is 2 days since I shot it. Following along....I'm thinking that I have this covered (NOT). After the sanding, I see that i went thru the base and primer so i decide to spray more rattle can 1K primer.....I do a dusting coat first...so far so good. 10 min later I lay a med coat and watch. Within minutes, I see 'cracks" appearing in the surface. I stop. Clearly, the 1K primer is drying and pulling away from the base coat. Normally I would think that the base was not dry but it was 7 days.

I'm trying to get the shop up to the mid 70's to get a good dry. I am thinking that I want to give them a 400 wet sand and see what the surface feels like. At this point, I'd like to try a light coat of base and see if it lays nice. What tells me that the real fix is a total strip but, can I fix it? Thoughts?? Something tells me that I over thought it....should of just shot more base after the sanding--forget the primer.

Board Moderator
PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2021 8:56 pm
Dump the rattle can.

'59 Harley fenders, sanded, sealed with epoxy, 2k primer finish sanded, sprayed and cleared, no buff.
Attachments
No Flash.JPG
1968 Coronet R/T

ACTS 16:31

No Turning Back

USA
PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2021 10:31 pm
'68 Coronet R/T wrote:Dump the rattle can.

'59 Harley fenders, sanded, sealed with epoxy, 2k primer finish sanded, sprayed and cleared, no buff.
yah, I know you are right, I have a good primer gun and can use it.....cutting corners does not pay---lesson learned.

No Turning Back

USA
PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2021 6:42 am
'68 Coronet R/T wrote: sealed with epoxy, 2k primer finish sanded
What brand of primer are you using? Is it 2 separate products?

Return to Body and Paint