Using Urethane Reducer in Epoxy Primer

General Discussion. Make yourself at home...read, ask and answer!

Non-Lurker

USA
PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2021 2:35 pm
Is it fine to use the same reducer for single stage Urethane paint and Epoxy primer? Specifically, Grow Automotive HET 1370 "100% virgin solvent Urethane Reducer" with SPEEDOKOTE 2.1VOC EPOXY DTM PRIMER / SEALER.

The SPEEDOKOTE Epoxy primer recommends reducing with 10% of their Zero VOC reducer. Unfortunately, this wasn't mentioned when I bought the primer, and I'd prefer not to pay $15 shipping for $13 reducer, if the Urethane Reducer I have will do the job.

Thank you for your input, it's much appreciated.

Top Contributor
USA
PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2021 3:14 pm
Mason wrote:Is it fine to use the same reducer for single stage Urethane paint and Epoxy primer? Specifically, Grow Automotive HET 1370 "100% virgin solvent Urethane Reducer" with SPEEDOKOTE 2.1VOC EPOXY DTM PRIMER / SEALER.

The SPEEDOKOTE Epoxy primer recommends reducing with 10% of their Zero VOC reducer. Unfortunately, this wasn't mentioned when I bought the primer, and I'd prefer not to pay $15 shipping for $13 reducer, if the Urethane Reducer I have will do the job.

ZERO VOC reducer is just acetone, yes you can use urethane reducer
Experienced Trained Certified

SATA Spray Equipment Germany
Axalta ChromaBase Elite Standox Imron 5000 6000
PPG Delfeet Deltron Global Matthews
Sherwin Williams Ultra 7000 Genesis
Valspar DeBeer LIC
Akzo Nobel Sikkens Lesonal

Non-Lurker

USA
PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2021 10:58 pm
PainterDave wrote:
Mason wrote:Is it fine to use the same reducer for single stage Urethane paint and Epoxy primer? Specifically, Grow Automotive HET 1370 "100% virgin solvent Urethane Reducer" with SPEEDOKOTE 2.1VOC EPOXY DTM PRIMER / SEALER.

ZERO VOC reducer is just acetone, yes you can use urethane reducer

Thank you for the help!

Return to Body and Paint