Rat rod style epoxy primer finish

General Discussion. Make yourself at home...read, ask and answer!

Fully Engaged
PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2021 5:51 am
So, have been asked by my son (21 yr old) can I paint the car we are building in a finished black epoxy primer.

I genuinely dont know, if i coated everything in epoxy primer, would i need to clear coat it for protection, how many coats would need to be layed down.

What are the dis advantages of doing this rather than laying down a satin black finish coat

Steve

Fully Engaged
PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2021 5:55 am
Heading to welders tomorrow to have fitted up

New rear trunk drop panels lh and rh side
New rear inner wheel arches lh and rh
New rear quarters lh and rh
New rear tail light panel
New gutter rails trunk

Plus some floor rust repairs
781DAF93-C938-46C7-AE21-4978E114DF16.jpeg

Top Contributor
PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2021 10:34 am
you've got a lot invested in that project i can't advise on a flat black that i would recommend for that job. i don't think the epoxy as a top coat or covered with clear is going to be what your looking for, plus the epoxy doesn't like uv rays it tends to fade. also if you put clear over flat your going to end up with gloss black. do your research it will pay off in the end.
Jay D.
they say my name is Jay

Board Moderator
USA
PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2021 2:23 pm
If that car is going to be outside much or driven very much I would recommend against it, no matter how you would do it. My project turned out great in a matte look however there were a lot of steps and I buried in much higher tech. UV inhibited gloss clear, and then added that same clear in a matte. It shows very little wear however it is garaged and I'm probably driving it maybe 5000 miles or so yearly. Honestly, with the special pearl effects and everything I spent maybe 20% more than if I would have just done a regular base/clear. Soooo....if he's thinking cheap cool flat rat rod look that is going to be "practical" and "durable." Ahhhhh....all those words don't go together so well......
Metal, wood, fiberglass, we work it all... www.furniturephysicians.com We can restore the irreplaceable!

Fully Engaged
PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2021 2:27 am
That is kind of what I thought as well, I would prefer to go into a matt black top coat or satin black rather than the epoxy black primer

Return to Body and Paint