Engine and exhaust headers painting

General Discussion. Make yourself at home...read, ask and answer!

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2021 8:30 pm
I have my engine pulled out of the car right now, and I am wanting to clean it up and paint it. What would be the best and longest lasting product or method for painting the engine?
I am also looking at cleaning up and painting the exhaust headers.
Do these generic hi-temp paints work or they a waste?
How about POR 15’s engine paint kits?

Top Contributor
PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2021 8:41 pm
most any catalyzed urathane paint will work on the block. i've done a lot of them. for the headers rattle cans don't work well. i have a powder coater near me that powder coats headers and has done some for friends of mine and they say it doesn't burn off. i might try him for some Harley headers i'm building.
Jay D.
they say my name is Jay

Settled In
USA
PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2021 11:47 pm
If you can find a shop to do it getting your headers ceramic coated will keep them looking good for a long time.

It actually helps the headers resist heat which helps you vehicle because more damage causing heat makes it out the tail pipe.

No Turning Back

USA
PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2021 7:05 am
Agree with badsix, any good catalyzed paint holds up well, Single stage uro, acrylic enamel, BC/CC, Imron. Just a couple tips. Make sure everything is super clean, no rust, grease, oil! Use a thin coat of epoxy primer, or etch first (at least on sheet metal parts, not 100% necessary on cast, but it still helps if primered) Then just enough color to cover. Keep whatever you use on the engine very thin. A thick coat will fail sooner.
Headers: never found a paint product that worked well. Ceramic or plating is the only thing I've seen that hold sup in the long run.

Fully Engaged
PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2021 8:19 am
I had a set of rusty headers sand blasted and powder coated in high temp powder coat, they came up really good and are holding fine so far

Steve

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2021 9:43 am
Thanks for the information. I googled ceramic coating, and found a business down by the speedway that does powder coating and ceramic coating. I’m going to give them a holler and see what the cost would be.
Thanks again.

Return to Body and Paint