Why Orange Peel Now??

General Discussion. Make yourself at home...read, ask and answer!

No Turning Back

USA
PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2021 9:24 am
Hi Guys,

Kind of stumped here now. I shot base and clear on some bike parts yesterday. The base laid down nice with no hint of peel. I followed the TDS for timing between coats and the temps. I proceeded to lay 3 coats of clear, again following the directions. All looked good as I closed the door and kept heat in the room all night at around 75'. Looked at them this morning and it has more peel than I have had in the recent past. Same gun, settings, temps and materials. The ONLY thing that was different was that I don't have the ventilation sorted out yet so there was a lot of overspray in the room. The finish has a great shine (high gloss HD vivid black) and it does not look dry by any means. If I didn't know better, I would guess that the clear just didn't atomize coming out of the gun. The easiest solution for me I feel is to let it really dry for a couple of days and hit it with 800 grit and shoot another 2 coats of clear. Thoughts??

Top Contributor
USA
PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2021 9:49 am
Rebel Racing wrote:Hi Guys,

Kind of stumped here now. I shot base and clear on some bike parts yesterday. The base laid down nice with no hint of peel. I followed the TDS for timing between coats and the temps. I proceeded to lay 3 coats of clear, again following the directions. All looked good as I closed the door and kept heat in the room all night at around 75'. Looked at them this morning and it has more peel than I have had in the recent past. Same gun, settings, temps and materials. The ONLY thing that was different was that I don't have the ventilation sorted out yet so there was a lot of overspray in the room. The finish has a great shine (high gloss HD vivid black) and it does not look dry by any means. If I didn't know better, I would guess that the clear just didn't atomize coming out of the gun. The easiest solution for me I feel is to let it really dry for a couple of days and hit it with 800 grit and shoot another 2 coats of clear. Thoughts??

yes that is your easiest solution
Experienced Trained Certified

SATA Spray Equipment Germany
Axalta ChromaBase Elite Standox Imron 5000 6000
PPG Delfeet Deltron Global Matthews
Sherwin Williams Ultra 7000 Genesis
Valspar DeBeer LIC
Akzo Nobel Sikkens Lesonal

No Turning Back

USA
PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2021 10:05 am
PainterDave wrote:
Rebel Racing wrote:Hi Guys,

yes that is your easiest solution
Any idea why it happened? I really thought I was past "peely" finishes LOL. Quite humbling.

Board Moderator
PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2021 10:51 am
It's hard to say without seeing the surface.
Temperatures, speed of activator, reducer, etc. can all affect the results.
1968 Coronet R/T

ACTS 16:31

No Turning Back

USA
PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2021 1:08 pm
'68 Coronet R/T wrote:It's hard to say without seeing the surface.
Temperatures, speed of activator, reducer, etc. can all affect the results.
Same temp, mixture etc. It was however a it more humid (T-Storm brewing later in the day--but I did have dry heat in the shop). After really looking them over in good light, it is not as bad as I thought. Still not entirely happy but it's only a few areas and from 24" you cannot see anything wrong. Super shiny--nice color for sure. Truthfully, if it was a metallic like I normally shoot, I doubt I would be saying anything bad about it. This was my first non metallic black job.

Board Moderator
USA
PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2021 4:35 pm
Big difference in the way the clear looks between a metallic and BLACK! Metallic kind of busts up things.....black is not forgiving....
Metal, wood, fiberglass, we work it all... www.furniturephysicians.com We can restore the irreplaceable!

No Turning Back

USA
PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2021 5:13 pm
DarrelK wrote:Big difference in the way the clear looks between a metallic and BLACK! Metallic kind of busts up things.....black is not forgiving....
Makes sense. I found out I had a bit of a leak on my water separator....I checked pressure at the gun at the start but did not after that. I may have been a few lb low during most of the shoot. I just shot a guitar today and made certain of the pressure. I'll see how that looks tomorrow.

Return to Body and Paint