Holy Crap TFS!

General Discussion. Make yourself at home...read, ask and answer!

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2021 10:37 pm
I miss methylene chloride so much....! :cry:
What are you guys using for stripper now?

Board Moderator
USA
PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2021 11:17 pm
Well, we are still using Methylene Chloride of course.... well, professionally anyway. It's only been removed from consumer's reach currently. People were always careless in handling it and enough lawsuits (especially in the bathtub refinishing area) finally forced it off shelves. For pro's it looks like it will eventually come to a certification process on our knowledge of how to properly handle it. I am kind of concerned about some of the "chemistry" that is going to replace it for consumers. A LOT of those ingredients don't have any long term testing for exposure......
Oh, and I'll just throw a some hope your way.... Some stuff that appears to be promising is formulations which contain methyl acetate, dimethyl sulfoxide (DMSO), and either thiophene or 1,3-dioxolane. In testing these all cut as fast however they have not made it from the lab to manufacturing yet. We will see......
Metal, wood, fiberglass, we work it all... www.furniturephysicians.com We can restore the irreplaceable!

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2021 1:10 am
Who sells what I need? My local auto color store doesn't have it.

Board Moderator
USA
PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2021 8:02 am
If you are still looking for Meth Chlor. it's not going to be on anybody's "shelf" for consumer sale. Almost ANY of the replacement strippers are going to take 3 to 4 times as long for dwell time before they hit bare metal/wood. Now might be the time to get set up with a good sand/media blasting rig...... You might find some old Meth Chlor. stock in gallons on ebay, Craigslist, etc. If you think you might be using "enough" of it you can professionally buy it in 55's from companies like Flo Strip, Benco, etc. It doesn't have a shelf life if tightly sealed in the drum..... I bought out one of my old suppliers years ago. We used up every last drop of his stuff and we were at 6 years of storage on it then......
Metal, wood, fiberglass, we work it all... www.furniturephysicians.com We can restore the irreplaceable!

Top Contributor
PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2021 11:20 am
Rsrguy3 wrote:I miss methylene chloride so much....! :cry:
What are you guys using for stripper now?

ME TO!
Jay D.
they say my name is Jay

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2021 7:24 pm
Ya this hippie dippie, greenie weenie bs stripper I have is supposed to be good, but it barely softened the first layer, no crinkle any where! I just saw straight MC on Amazon $30 for a liter. I'm going to check the ingredients list of this hippie green stripper to see if there is anything chem reactivity if they aren't reactive I'll mix in some MC and have another go... I'm an aircraft restoration guy, so media blasting isn't an option..

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2021 8:59 pm
Have you used the proform product?

Board Moderator
USA
PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2021 9:58 pm
Had to look up the Proform msds sheet to remember.....many, many, years ago we used a very similar formula however over the years we found that MC works better with the co-solvent alcohols when acids are used as activators. Modern catalytic urethanes and lacquers break better/quicker with the newer style strippers. Just watch about playing around/mixing a lot of the "green" formula stripper with other agents. You can produce deadly chlorine and phosgene gases in some cases. An old competitor of mine added some "samples" off a salesman's truck to his stripping tank and was overcome with the fumes. He died later that day.....

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2021 11:49 am
Ya... It's a bad idea. any contact info on the stuff you're using?

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2021 12:51 pm
Gotta say I'm a bit bummed as I have to strip a cessna back for paint, and this new stuff just is not going to cut it.
Next

Return to Body and Paint