Acrylic on my bike

General Discussion. Make yourself at home...read, ask and answer!

Non-Lurker

USA
PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2021 8:29 am
I am wondering if there is anything you can use as a topcoat that will protect acrylic paint for use on my motorcycle. I want to do some acrylic paint pouring on it with a specific color scheme in mind. I need to figure out what I can use to protect the paint. OR can you do the same technique with automotive paint? Please help!!

Board Moderator
PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2021 9:55 pm
I am not fully sure I understand what you are trying to do.

Can you elaborate a little as to the products you want to use and method of application?
1968 Coronet R/T

ACTS 16:31

No Turning Back

USA
PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2021 7:02 am
Terminology is extremely important in talking about paint.
There are acrylic lacquers, enamels, and I've even heard of urethane, referred to as acrylic.
All are completely different chemistries, with different requirements, and attributes.
I believe you might be referring to acrylic paints used in art, hence the "pouring" reference. I, for one, have no clue, these paints are NEVER used in automotive/motorcycle painting. Maybe someone else may have experimented?????

Top Contributor
PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2021 11:09 am
yep, need to know just what it is you want to use. wouldn't be 1-shot sign painters paint would it.
Jay D.
they say my name is Jay

No Turning Back

USA
PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2021 6:09 pm
Oh boy, I wrote a long dissertation on how I'd experiment with doing a job like this, and it got lost!
Anyhow, to make a shorter version of it, I think I'd try to do what you hint that you want , using single stage urethane or acrylic enamels, slow dry, and you can easily adjust the viscosity to suit your "Pouring method". I would NOT suggest using base coat type paints. Since paint is so dam expensive, I would try a bodyshop supply and ask for some "mistake" mixes, or go to a body shop and see if they will give you small amounts of left over paints they might no want to keep. Be sure to use only ONE paint type to do all this, don't mix acrylic enamel with urethane.
Then experiment trying your pours with them, playing around with reducing the paints, or using retarder to slow the dry to get the effect you want.
If you get it, then do your MC parts, but use the hardener that goes with the paint. After letting it dry a few days, sand the paint flat (it will be lumpy if you don't spray it), and then topcoat with a compatible clear, again, with the same hardener.
I had some other ways you could also experiment with doing this, but no time to write it all!

Board Moderator
PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2021 8:26 am
It seems the OP has never returned to view the replies.
1968 Coronet R/T

ACTS 16:31

Top Contributor
PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2021 11:26 am
chopolds wrote:Oh boy, I wrote a long dissertation on how I'd experiment with doing a job like this, and it got lost!
Anyhow, to make a shorter version of it, I think I'd try to do what you hint that you want , using single stage urethane or acrylic enamels, slow dry, and you can easily adjust the viscosity to suit your "Pouring method". I would NOT suggest using base coat type paints. Since paint is so dam expensive, I would try a bodyshop supply and ask for some "mistake" mixes, or go to a body shop and see if they will give you small amounts of left over paints they might no want to keep. Be sure to use only ONE paint type to do all this, don't mix acrylic enamel with urethane.
Then experiment trying your pours with them, playing around with reducing the paints, or using retarder to slow the dry to get the effect you want.
If you get it, then do your MC parts, but use the hardener that goes with the paint. After letting it dry a few days, sand the paint flat (it will be lumpy if you don't spray it), and then topcoat with a compatible clear, again, with the same hardener.
I had some other ways you could also experiment with doing this, but no time to write it all!
:goodpost: and a good point on the hardener.
Jay D.
they say my name is Jay

Return to Body and Paint