Setup help with my Iwata lph400

General Discussion. Make yourself at home...read, ask and answer!

Board Moderator
PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2021 9:59 am
I set my gun up using masking paper taped to a wall.

After setting air pressure with trigger pulled full open I put paint in the gun.

Hold the spray gun about 5" from the paper and pull the trigger full open for one second.

Adjust the fluid knob in until there are no runs. The pattern should be cigar shaped and completely filled with fine droplets of paint.

If droplets are too big, increase air pressure, if pattern isn't completely full increase fluid.

50% overlap is what I use.

Don't worry about full coverage with base coat on 1st pass, just be consistent in speed, distance and overlap.

I usually shoot 3 coats of base even if it looks good after two coats.
1968 Coronet R/T

ACTS 16:31

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2021 12:21 pm
very Good thanks for the info,, I will post pics hopefully in a couple of weeks

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2021 4:47 pm
Do you guys feel air top and bottom heavy a bit on your guns I need to wind my fan in 3 turns to where the air pattern is uniform on my hand, I sprayed water on cardboard with that setting and I get a 6" long spray pattern at a distance of 5" away, I've sprayed metallic before a few times never with that narrow of a setting with good results, but after messing up my hood with stripes, I trying to avoid a possible disaster by having my gun fan setting off.
Next weekend it's go time to paint my car,, thanks

Non-Lurker

USA
PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2023 5:39 pm
I have an Iwata LPH 400 that I got used. I had trouble with it spraying correctly. I ordered new needle, air cap, and nozzle for it. It sprayed great for the sealer for my engine bay. Then I went to spray basecoat and went fine at first but then all of a sudden I couldn't get the paint to atomize. Didn't matter what settings (more or less fluid; more or less air pressure; more or less fan) I used...still had large droplets. I had another gun and used it instead. Any ideas on what would have caused the issue?
Previous

Return to Body and Paint