Weak afternarket paint job, or normalcy?

General Discussion. Make yourself at home...read, ask and answer!

Settled In

Canada
PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2021 11:41 am
DarrelK wrote:Okay, so after seeing more pic.s I just don't think this is a very good paint job. First, orange peel, you've got it consistently crappy all over. This is kind of a not so great example but look at that pic. of your headlight. Notice how your reflection is pretty clear in the headlight?....now look down at the reflection of your legs in the paint.....actually if this had been cut and buffed properly your legs should look even sharper than the reflection that is in the plastic headlight. And the more I keep seeing this edge chipping thing..... I'm thinking the prep. was not good and the coating is on the thin side. And, please ditch this train of thought.... " I’d say I always figured any difference in how this paint looked compared to a regular paint job was either due to the rather unique color itself or it being an aftermarket paint job." Color has no impact on "how" a quality paint or paint system can turn out. And, aftermarket paint jobs can last as long or longer than factory paint jobs. I saw the front end of an old VW Sirocco I repaired and painted 27 years ago. It looked great...still nice and glossy with just a few very tiny rock chips.
I think you need to have a "sit down" with this painter. Here are a few pic.s of my truck build I finished up by Sept. of 2020. This has what would be referred to as a more "fragile" coating because it is "matte." Now, if anybody should be having problems with their paint it should be me. I drive this truck several times a week even through the winter and have been on one 1200 mile trip and several shorter out of town excursions. And no, I am not slow or dainty with it. I've run it up to the fuel cutoff several times (private track) and even had a bird strike on the front end (no damage to my paint....thoroughly dead bird though). I haven't had ANY peeling and maybe 2 pin head sized chips down low just above the chin spoiler. And that is 8 months of driving. It is garaged at night.

Okay I looked up orange peel, and seeing these pictures it’s exactly what my car has, maybe mine isn’t as bad, and I didn’t know what this effect was called before, but when I first got the car back I noticed quickly that it had this wavy look, and was different,(yes I chalked it up to colour and aftermarket ness) I realize that’s not the case now, it’s still not all that bad I’m a picky person but I could def live with the amount of peel it has but I’d much rather not of course, what scares me more is the flaking and peeling Im seeing after 5 months, I appreciate the detailed answers, I will be seeing the painter soon, and I will definitely mention, everything from the flakes and chipping the clear peeling and even the orange peel, we’ll see what he has to say, I’m sure that’s a tough spot for any painter as how does one find a solution for both people that’s a lot of his time or my money so we’ll see what happens.

Top Contributor
PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2021 12:43 pm
in your last picture of the right forward fender, look at the reflection where the shadow is. it looks like a building there see the rough texture in the refection thats what we are talking about. if you can live with it thats fine, it really doesn't look like bad peel. but it would just look much better if it was SMOOOOTH.
Jay D.
they say my name is Jay

Settled In

Canada
PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2021 8:24 pm
badsix wrote:in your last picture of the right forward fender, look at the reflection where the shadow is. it looks like a building there see the rough texture in the refection thats what we are talking about. if you can live with it thats fine, it really doesn't look like bad peel. but it would just look much better if it was SMOOOOTH.
Jay D.

Yes I definitely see what your referring to now, I had noticed this before I know that it has orange peel now, maybe it’s not all that bad at least I don’t think it is yeah, but now here’s what I’m wondering

1. When you get a paint job and it’s got orange peel over the whole thing, typically what would be done? Is that an acceptable risk, and they maybe refund you a bit? They redo it out of pocket? Would someone ever go as far as legal action to fix these types of things?(im definitely not going that route at all but just curious as to how serious sort of this would be normally)

2. If you had flaking, and chipping around edges, paint rubbing off from body parts touching, and clear coat coming off from masking tape, AND orange peel on the car, how much would be normal to expect from this guy? Can I really ask him to redo it all? I wouldn’t have payed for this if I’d known it was like this but I mean nothings on paper right? So whats reasonable for me to expect or ask from this guy to solve this if you had all these issues, best case scenario and worst case?

Board Moderator
USA
PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2021 10:05 pm
Okay, in response to #1. A "level" of quality is usually established for the look of the paint job and a quote is given based on this. A painter might show you base/clear samples and say something like this is my coating "right off the gun" with no cut/buff work. He'd say this is the breakdown for prep., bodywork, and that coating process at this price. He might show you further samples of what his finish process looks like with a cut/buff and quote you additional monies for that. Now, 5 months later he is going to say, "Well, you picked it up and paid for it so it was okay." I mean that is his leverage for not lifting a finger to address the "quality"(orange peel) of the paint surface.
#2. is a whole different matter.... you think that your paint surfaces are prematurely failing which, no matter what, has to be his fault. What he does about it....well, it's a negotiation at best if you have nothing in writing. Sometimes these things do go to small claims court which can be "sticky" for you since their is no paperwork. No paperwork helps his case more than yours as you can't prove what your expectations were for this job.
I'd just be nice and say "Hey, I was wondering if you could look at this... should this paint be coming off like this?" Read his reaction....trust me you'll know where you are headed....
Metal, wood, fiberglass, we work it all... www.furniturephysicians.com We can restore the irreplaceable!

Top Contributor
PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2021 11:19 pm
:goodpost: the last paragraph says it all.
Jay D..
they say my name is Jay

Settled In

Canada
PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2021 12:59 pm
DarrelK wrote:Okay, in response to #1. A "level" of quality is usually established for the look of the paint job and a quote is given based on this. A painter might show you base/clear samples and say something like this is my coating "right off the gun" with no cut/buff work. He'd say this is the breakdown for prep., bodywork, and that coating process at this price. He might show you further samples of what his finish process looks like with a cut/buff and quote you additional monies for that. Now, 5 months later he is going to say, "Well, you picked it up and paid for it so it was okay." I mean that is his leverage for not lifting a finger to address the "quality"(orange peel) of the paint surface.
#2. is a whole different matter.... you think that your paint surfaces are prematurely failing which, no matter what, has to be his fault. What he does about it....well, it's a negotiation at best if you have nothing in writing. Sometimes these things do go to small claims court which can be "sticky" for you since their is no paperwork. No paperwork helps his case more than yours as you can't prove what your expectations were for this job.
I'd just be nice and say "Hey, I was wondering if you could look at this... should this paint be coming off like this?" Read his reaction....trust me you'll know where you are headed....

Okay yeah this sounds exactly like what I was thinking, never occurred to me asking for samples or examples this was my first aftermarket paint job but I know now, so oh well, but yeah the paint aura faces failing is the real concern here, I’ll definitely see how he reacts when I show him all the issues and go from there,

I definitely appreciate all the advice helped a ton, I’m seeing him in 3 days we’ll see how it goes!

Board Moderator
USA
PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2021 3:36 pm
Yeah, just keep your cool.... I've been on both sides of this fence in our restoration business over the years. I've also been the "expert witness" for both sides as well. It's the old, "You'll get more flies with honey thing," than letting words turn into a yelling match.... Crafts people like him tend to "shut down and shut up" if they think you are abusing them or trying to get one over on them.
Metal, wood, fiberglass, we work it all... www.furniturephysicians.com We can restore the irreplaceable!

Settled In

Canada
PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2021 8:41 pm
DarrelK wrote:Yeah, just keep your cool.... I've been on both sides of this fence in our restoration business over the years. I've also been the "expert witness" for both sides as well. It's the old, "You'll get more flies with honey thing," than letting words turn into a yelling match.... Crafts people like him tend to "shut down and shut up" if they think you are abusing them or trying to get one over on them.

Couldn’t agree more

No Turning Back

USA
PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2021 6:40 am
^^^^^^^^^ yeah!
Reminds me of when I had a really nice 58 Chevy to paint. I had the car ready to go, and was about to shoot it when I got off my day job. Meanwhile, my "partner" in the shop decided he'd help out and shoot the color. Centari. He did, and when I got back to working on it, I taped off some scallops, shot them in ghost pearls, and then hit it with some clear Centari. The whole car wrinkled up. My "thrifty" partner figured we'd save money if we only used hardener in the clear, not the color!
Forgetting stuff, being cheap, or just lazy often results in a poor paint job!
Previous

Return to Body and Paint