primer question

General Discussion. Make yourself at home...read, ask and answer!

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2021 5:38 pm
I am currently working on one of my many projects it is an 79 Scout II. I have a couple questions. First question is it has the original acrylic enamel from IH on bottom then it
was resprayed in the early 90's from talking to the guy that painted it then with more acrylic
enamel over the factory color it was originally light green then repainted 63 Ford Galaxy
pearl metallic blue is what he called it. Should I remove all paint (is what I had in mind due
to it's age) or leave the factory base coat since it probably has good adhesion or what?
My Second question is I wanted to epoxy primer as I go would this be a good primer to use since I am painting it a bright blue? House of Kolor KD3000 Blue Hybrid epoxy two component primer designed to be used as a DTS or Direct to Substrate High Build High Build Surfacer Medium Build Surfacer/High Build Sealer or silky smooth sealer. Or do I
need something else? I shot the epoxy primer sealer last time from restoration shop and it
done good it wasn't very sandable at all though it was hard as a rock.

thanks in advance
Dave

Top Contributor
PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2021 9:19 pm
its hard to just remove a certain layer and leave the one below. usually just go to the bare metal and epoxy that, then your good to go. i would check the store here or other places for some good epoxy at a reasonable price most epoxys will sand reasonable after a few day dry time. you could always shoot a couple coats of epoxy then within the window shoot some regular hi build it will build and sand real easy. check the store for hi build also. be sure to have the metal CLEAN before you put the epoxy on.
Jay D.
they say my name is Jay

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2021 9:36 pm
badsix wrote:its hard to just remove a certain layer and leave the one below. usually just go to the bare metal and epoxy that, then your good to go. i would check the store here or other places for some good epoxy at a reasonable price most epoxys will sand reasonable after a few day dry time. you could always shoot a couple coats of epoxy then within the window shoot some regular hi build it will build and sand real easy. check the store for hi build also. be sure to have the metal CLEAN before you put the epoxy on.
Jay D.

Thanks for the reply Jay, I am shopping for primer and wasn't sure what I should
go with. And wasn't sure on the other question either I appreciate it.

thanks
Dave

No Turning Back

USA
PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2021 6:51 am
I used to use HOK Ep-2 primer exclusively. Great stuff. The DTR is good, too, sometimes easier to use. The real advantage is that you don't have to use 2 or 3 different products. It's all in one.
I recommend stripping all the paint off, but even if you just took off the top layers, and left some original paint and primer, it probably will hold up. But the norm is to remove any uncatalyzed paint under a modern urethane system, and it is also recommended not to put a third paint job over 2 previous ones.

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2021 10:40 am
chopolds wrote:I used to use HOK Ep-2 primer exclusively. Great stuff. The DTR is good, too, sometimes easier to use. The real advantage is that you don't have to use 2 or 3 different products. It's all in one.
I recommend stripping all the paint off, but even if you just took off the top layers, and left some original paint and primer, it probably will hold up. But the norm is to remove any uncatalyzed paint under a modern urethane system, and it is also recommended not to put a third paint job over 2 previous ones.

Thanks Chopolds for the info I appreciate it

Dave

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2021 2:21 pm
I have been reading and shopping for primer all day and I found a brand I recognized that makes a all in one epoxy primer/surfacer/sealer and its high build it is called SEM Metalock
DTM high build. Has anyone used this before and would this be a good option for me. I am going down to metal like recommended.

thanks,
Dave

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2021 9:48 pm
Just read this stuff is porous like 2K non epoxies and will not completely seal the metal
so i'm out on that one I'll stick with the normal epoxy.

Dave

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2021 12:04 pm
Well I finally just decided to try something I hadn't used before and ordered some Kirker
Enduro epoxy primer gray for my base. I checked my stash and I found a new gallon of medium urethane reducer so that should work for my 2K high build I havent't ordered yet. A full can of wax and grease remover and a quart of lite weight filler. I am currently looking at paint removers and 2K high build I may go with the U-POL high build 2k urethane primer unless I find something else. :neutral:

Dave

Top Contributor
Australia
PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2021 6:17 am
A suggestion:
Stick to one brand for all your products epoxy, primer, base/clear or 2K. I'm not saying that different brands are incompatible, often they're not, but as a hobby painter how do you know which ones are and which aren't? Different for me, I have a shop to test products and yet I still generally stick with one line. Reason? Warranty. If it goes wrong (and it has, sometimes) the base supplier can't point to the primer and say "it's all their fault".

There are paint companies out there who can and will back their products, yet supply those at value pricing.
Chris

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2021 9:41 pm
NFT5 wrote:A suggestion:
Stick to one brand for all your products epoxy, primer, base/clear or 2K. I'm not saying that different brands are incompatible, often they're not, but as a hobby painter how do you know which ones are and which aren't? Different for me, I have a shop to test products and yet I still generally stick with one line. Reason? Warranty. If it goes wrong (and it has, sometimes) the base supplier can't point to the primer and say "it's all their fault".

There are paint companies out there who can and will back their products, yet supply those at value pricing.

Chris,
Thanks for the advice I sure appreciate it.

Dave

Return to Body and Paint