Omni

General Discussion. Make yourself at home...read, ask and answer!

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2021 11:47 am
After reading a couple disparaging remarks about Omni I picked up 3 quarts of PPG matched-color paint from our Carquest, which I thought would be labeled what I asked for, PPG. But it only said Omni on the can so I asked the man why I wasn’t getting PPG. He says Omni is the cheap PPG. I took it but now regret paying for something I wasn’t informed of. I did appreciate the time he put into helping me locate a good color match so the interior metal matches the whole body paint job.
Now I’d like to know just how bad is Omni. I’m not worried about the cost of the paint but I am worried about the quality of the job and how much extra time inferior paint might cost me. Any opinion would be much appreciated

Board Moderator
PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2021 1:25 pm
Jobbers will often sell you the bargain basement offering of a Brand Name paint - Omni, Shopline, etc.

They are clearly not the same quality because nobody would buy the expensive stuff if there wasn't a difference.

Being a work out of your garage at home guy, I need to find quality paints at affordable prices. In order to do this I buy all my paint supplies online.

Automotive Art Motobase LV is a great base coat in my opinion and reasonably priced. What I also like is a base coat that mixes 1:1 with reducer so I get two gallons of RTS (ready to spray) paint. I order it from a place in Michigan and have it shipped to my home in Arizona. http://www.autorodtechnologies.com/chad ... -and-audio

Tamco (clears and primers sold on this site in the store front) also makes base coat from what I have read. You might call them and get pricing on your color code.
1968 Coronet R/T

ACTS 16:31

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2021 1:53 pm
Thanks very much, I’ll try those, see if they can use the PPG color code. And if I need to match a color again I’ll use the top grade PPG. Don’t think I’ll gamble on this Omni

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2021 2:14 pm
This is a single stage I’ve got, what if I put two coats of the Omni on, then did a quick switch to a high grade PPG for a third coat right over the flashing Omni? I just hate to see paint get thrown out. If Omni has the same quality of adhesion, why not use it up. BTW I’m using top notch epoxy primer, two coats

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2021 5:31 pm
Talked to the store, they sold me Omni because PPG doesn’t make single stage Deltron which is their high grade. And Sherwin Williams doesn’t sell any single stage they can use a PPG color code for. So, looks like by getting my color matched and going single stage sealed my fate. It’s Omni this time, I’ll just have to keep er waxed and roofed

Board Moderator
USA
PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2021 5:58 pm
So Omni and Shopline aren't so much that bad it's just there is a lot better/cheaper out there. To me the single biggest problem is this same sign which appears directly behind my PPG jobbers counter.... NO COLOR MATCHING ON OMNI. That sign has been up there for 31 years. So 31 years of a system that cannot give you a can one day and match it next week....oh, and then there is the poor coverage. Last truck I did in pretty much a straight white took 6, yes 6 coats of base to get proper hiding......
Metal, wood, fiberglass, we work it all... www.furniturephysicians.com We can restore the irreplaceable!

Top Contributor
USA
PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2021 6:45 pm
not to much difference in the quality of the basecoats, but not to much work is put into the color match side of their lower brands, the cost difference is not because of the quality, the cost difference is you paying for their marketing

all paint companies repackage some of their stuff, clears and hardeners for example, they don't really manufacture as many different products as you think they do.

another example Delfleet F3321, 3331, 3341, 3351, these are DT reducers repackaged
Experienced Trained Certified

SATA Spray Equipment Germany
Axalta ChromaBase Elite Standox Imron 5000 6000
PPG Delfeet Deltron Global Matthews
Sherwin Williams Ultra 7000 Genesis
Valspar DeBeer LIC
Akzo Nobel Sikkens Lesonal

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2021 7:39 pm
DarrelK wrote:So Omni and Shopline aren't so much that bad it's just there is a lot better/cheaper out there. To me the single biggest problem is this same sign which appears directly behind my PPG jobbers counter.... NO COLOR MATCHING ON OMNI. That sign has been up there for 31 years. So 31 years of a system that cannot give you a can one day and match it next week....oh, and then there is the poor coverage. Last truck I did in pretty much a straight white took 6, yes 6 coats of base to get proper hiding......

Thanks, this is good to know. I’ll do a sample spray. How would you go about matching a color if you live in a town with no color matching and there’s only two mix and match stores within 50 miles? The above autorodtechnology? Or another online store?

Board Moderator
PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2021 10:50 pm
PainterDave wrote:not to much difference in the quality of the basecoats, but not to much work is put into the color match side of their lower brands, the cost difference is not because of the quality, the cost difference is you paying for their marketing

all paint companies repackage some of their stuff, clears and hardeners for example, they don't really manufacture as many different products as you think they do.

another example Delfleet F3321, 3331, 3341, 3351, these are DT reducers repackaged

Having sprayed the lower end stuff, I would have to disagree with you on this. The higher quality base coats cover and spray much better so there must be something different in their make up. Same person, same spray equipment and very different results.
1968 Coronet R/T

ACTS 16:31

Top Contributor
USA
PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2021 1:48 pm
'68 Coronet R/T wrote:
PainterDave wrote:not to much difference in the quality of the basecoats, but not to much work is put into the color match side of their lower brands, the cost difference is not because of the quality, the cost difference is you paying for their marketing

Having sprayed the lower end stuff, I would have to disagree with you on this. The higher quality base coats cover and spray much better so there must be something different in their make up. Same person, same spray equipment and very different results.

never said there was no difference, I said "not much difference" coverage can be one of the differences at times but can also be corrected with the correct value shade,

a lot of problems a guy may run into is not having a complete system, guy in his garage picks up some paint, applies it and has trouble with coverage due to not using the complete system. guy like me having every PPG line at my disposal don't have the problems you do. so sorry brother the paint is not always to blame
Experienced Trained Certified

SATA Spray Equipment Germany
Axalta ChromaBase Elite Standox Imron 5000 6000
PPG Delfeet Deltron Global Matthews
Sherwin Williams Ultra 7000 Genesis
Valspar DeBeer LIC
Akzo Nobel Sikkens Lesonal
Next

Return to Body and Paint