How To Clear Signatures In Sharpie On A Tank

General Discussion. Make yourself at home...read, ask and answer!

No Turning Back

USA
PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2021 6:28 pm
Hi Guys,

I have been asked to clear a motorcycle tank that has a bunch of signatures written in Sharpie marker. The catch is that it was signed at a funeral so it is super important to the owner that the ink stays intact and not blur or run. The tank will never be on a bike, just a mantle piece I am being told.

First thought is how to clean the tank before it is cleared. Then, obviously, I can't sand it for the clear to stick. Next, would it need a different kind of clear. I am confused. I know at the very least I need to do a test panel or 2. Thoughts??

Top Contributor
PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2021 9:58 pm
about all you can do is wash it with soap and water, soap and water shouldn't bother the sharpie signatures. BUT test a small spot or on something else, then shoot the clear on. personally i don't think wax & grease remover would be a problem, almost nothing will remove Sharpie marks. what ever you do test a spot, sounds like a important piece. being its not going to be out in the elements it should hold up good. i have done this before but only on a sanded surface just before the clear coat and had no bad results.
good luck Jay D.
they say my name is Jay

No Turning Back

USA
PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2021 7:59 am
badsix wrote:about all you can do is wash it with soap and water, soap and water shouldn't bother the sharpie signatures. BUT test a small spot or on something else, then shoot the clear on. personally i don't think wax & grease remover would be a problem, almost nothing will remove Sharpie marks. what ever you do test a spot, sounds like a important piece. being its not going to be out in the elements it should hold up good. i have done this before but only on a sanded surface just before the clear coat and had no bad results.
good luck Jay D.
Thanks!! I am going to use a test panel I shot with base and clear a year ago. I'll sign it and then after it dries I'll do the soap and water and then w/g remover and then a light coat of clear. Very hesitant to take on the job for fear of ticking off a bunch of bike guys, LOL

Top Contributor
USA
PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2021 8:12 am
You might want to add a little "fish eye remover" to your clear
before spraying just to be safe in case there's wax left on it.
Tanks are known for having a lot of wax on them.
JC.

(It's not custom painting-it's custom sanding)

Board Moderator
USA
PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2021 8:32 am
Yeah,^^^^^^^^ that's what we do as well. If it is urethane based we use Smoothie II and if lacquer based we use original Smoothie. I also keep my first coat a little drier than normal.
Metal, wood, fiberglass, we work it all... www.furniturephysicians.com We can restore the irreplaceable!

Top Contributor
PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2021 11:41 am
:goodpost: on the fisheye stuff and if i had my choice i would use water base wax & grease remover. i think your going to be ok, do your tests, that stuff is nearly impossible to remove. BUT?
Jay D.
they say my name is Jay

No Turning Back

USA
PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2021 4:17 pm
JCCLARK wrote:You might want to add a little "fish eye remover" to your clear
before spraying just to be safe in case there's wax left on it.
Tanks are known for having a lot of wax on them.
Good thought...I will check the TDS, I remember reading one that did not recommend fish eye remover but having never used that I don't know about my clear--I'll check though. Thanks!!

No Turning Back

USA
PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2021 4:21 pm
DarrelK wrote:I also keep my first coat a little drier than normal.
I'm thinking of a dusting at first and then maybe 2 more med wet's?

Top Contributor
USA
PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2021 6:04 pm
If you're worried about the solvents in clear affecting the signatures,
you might consider a couple light coats of a intercoat clear first, unreduced.
JC.

(It's not custom painting-it's custom sanding)

No Turning Back

USA
PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2021 8:25 pm
JCCLARK wrote:If you're worried about the solvents in clear affecting the signatures,
you might consider a couple light coats of a intercoat clear first, unreduced.
This proves how much a newbie I am...not sure what that is--I'll do some research.
Next

Return to Body and Paint