Steps on bumper respray?

General Discussion. Make yourself at home...read, ask and answer!

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2021 9:24 pm
Had some success on another panel using a factory primed part - I'd like to respray my other cars rock chipped bumper.

It is 040 Black - The bumper has no cracks, but it has hundreds of rock chips and a few dings here and there. I want to get it all perfect.

Am I missing any steps?

1) Sand down all rock chips and entire bumper
2) Fill the couple dings, any other large rock chips (Bondo body filler?)

3) Prime entire bumper
Q- Will I need adhesion promoter if I am careful and don't hit raw plastic?)
Q2- Do I need some sort of flex additive, and if so, what stage does that come under?

4) Spray the base
5) 2K Clear

Top Contributor
Australia
PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2021 3:49 am
If you want it perfect then do it properly.

Sand all the face areas down to plastic. Don't use coarser than P180, preferably on a DA. Nobody is good enough to just sand down to primer without going through, especially on a bar. Don't try to fill stone chips - it never works. Repair any more serious damage using heat gun to soften plastic and push out dents, then a skim of filler (just normal filler will be fine).

Finish the bare plastic with P240 on the DA. With that you won't need AP, but use it if you want to. 2K primer, just on repaired areas preferably, leaving the sides where in joins the guards so that you can achieve no worse match than it is now. Block to P500 dry and then topcoats, blending base from repaired areas to unrepaired.

Flex additive is not necessary unless you plan on bending the bar. Keep paint thickness low and any paint will flex enough for fitting and temperature changes.
Chris

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2021 8:31 am
Thank you!

So are you saying on the sides where it joins the fenders, not to prime those edges, or use a 1k primer there?

The existing bumper was resprayed at some point, poorly, hence why I think it looks littered with stone chips as it didnt hold up.

Top Contributor
Australia
PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2021 1:26 pm
If you prime the whole bar and don't get a perfect colour match then the difference will be visible at the join between bar and guards. By not priming the sides where there is no damage and blending your colour from the damaged face areas you'll maintain the existing colour at the join and there should be no big difference since you just reclear over this area(s).
Chris

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2021 3:17 pm
NFT5 wrote:If you prime the whole bar and don't get a perfect colour match then the difference will be visible at the join between bar and guards. By not priming the sides where there is no damage and blending your colour from the damaged face areas you'll maintain the existing colour at the join and there should be no big difference since you just reclear over this area(s).

Got it, understood! Thank you!
I look forward at continuing to hone my skills.

I'm pretty happy with the result on my first job, so I feel good that I can do a bigger project with my other cars bumper now.

Return to Body and Paint