Prepping 2005 Sprinter for roof seams and Raptor Liner

General Discussion. Make yourself at home...read, ask and answer!

Top Contributor
USA
PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2021 3:09 pm
fschaefer wrote:Taking paint off is addictive. I may end up doing the entire roof.

I'm going to do what you guys suggested. Next question is which type of gun. I'm thinking HVLP. Does that make sense?
Do you guys have a gun recommendation for a 1 time job? The Harbor Fr**ght gun has a lot of reviews, but I don't mind spending more.
Suggestions for what size tip for 2K epoxy? I'm thinking a 1.8mm or 2mm tip.

1.4 for epoxy,
Experienced Trained Certified

SATA Spray Equipment Germany
Axalta ChromaBase Elite Standox Imron 5000 6000
PPG Delfeet Deltron Global Matthews
Sherwin Williams Ultra 7000 Genesis
Valspar DeBeer LIC
Akzo Nobel Sikkens Lesonal

Non-Lurker

USA
PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2021 5:41 pm
@DarrelK good call about the compressor. I'm a sucker for trying to make things work that seem hard.

I will either connect 2 compressors with check valves to a 30 gallon tank or rent a compressor that's big enough.

@PainterDave- You're absolutely right. I could spend forever on this van if I'm not careful. It's just gratifying to get down to bare metal. I'm sure I can find something better to do with my time and money.

Non-Lurker

USA
PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2021 10:50 am
@painterdave- question about nozzle size.

I emailed Autobahn before I posed the question here. They took a couple of days to answer. Before they answered, you had said 1.4 for 2K epoxy primer. Autobahn said 1.6 or 1.8.

Are you saying I can use 1.4 by adjusting air pressure, distance from work surface, etc?
Or should I gt a 1.6 to 1.8 as recommended?

knock on question:
Any suggestion for entry level HVLP (I'm really only doing 2 jobs) with multiple tips in the lower CFM range?

As always, thanks again for the input.
Previous

Return to Body and Paint