look repaired to you?

General Discussion. Make yourself at home...read, ask and answer!

Non-Lurker

USA
PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2021 9:07 pm
does this window look like it has been replaced? the seal looks a little wonky on the bottom. kinda bacon strip lookin'.

Board Moderator
USA
PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2021 10:08 pm
I mean, yeah, could be a sloppy install or could just be trim starting to wear/move. Windshields are kind of a "wear" item now with the roads/speeds we see. I've had to have at least a half dozen replaced over the last 20 years or so, and no, none of them were in an accident.
Metal, wood, fiberglass, we work it all... www.furniturephysicians.com We can restore the irreplaceable!

Non-Lurker

USA
PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2021 5:13 pm
what would you say is the over/under on it having been accident related?

Board Moderator
USA
PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2021 6:03 pm
Could be an accident....start looking for the other signs of it being in an accident... First, I look for the written word.... Carfax or other reporting agency. It's fast but not always accurate, there are still some shops not reporting. Next start looking at the entire front end, any gaps look uneven or wonky? Look inside the engine bay, is everything still hooked up in it's factory location? I have my Torque app on my phone along with my plug-in OBD dongle when I look at cars. Some things can show up with a quick scan. I also have a lot more powerful stand alone scanner that can handle the SRS (airbags, restraints, etc.) and ABS systems. If in doubt somebody like Pep Boys can do an inspection but of course you'll pay for it. An independent checking service like Carchex can also do if for some bucks. I used them on a car one time and was pretty impressed. They caught a half dozen things that I used to negotiate down the price with.....
Metal, wood, fiberglass, we work it all... www.furniturephysicians.com We can restore the irreplaceable!

No Turning Back
PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2021 7:03 pm
It may be my eyes, but it looks like a rubber seal that didn't get any sealant under it. Does this car use a rubber seal or is the WS glued in?

Board Moderator
USA
PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2021 9:15 pm
If it's got that dot matrix around the edges I was just assuming it was glue in.....hmmmm....

Top Contributor
Australia
PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2021 12:21 am
That's not a seal, it's just a rubber trim and they often do that. The windscreen will be glued in with the sealant on the back of the glass where it sits on the window frame.
Chris

Top Contributor
PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2021 7:01 am
NFT5 wrote:That's not a seal, it's just a rubber trim and they often do that. .

im thinkin when a windshield is replaced, they dont replace the trim piece with it,too. i could see the trim not going back in and looking like brand new factory installation.

Top Contributor
PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2021 12:38 pm
NFT5 wrote:That's not a seal, it's just a rubber trim and they often do that. The windscreen will be glued in with the sealant on the back of the glass where it sits on the window frame.

:goodpost: that part often with age will expand and cause that problem, especially if its a tight fit at the ends.
Jay D.
they say my name is Jay

Top Contributor
Australia
PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2021 12:37 am
Yep, on the money Jay.

I have one on my car and after 8 years in the sun it looks much worse than OP's picture. Easy to fix, though. A bead of urethane on the back and it will sit perfect forever.
Chris

Return to Body and Paint