Motorcycle paint job question

General Discussion. Make yourself at home...read, ask and answer!

Non-Lurker

USA
PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2021 2:06 pm
How do I turn the paint from a spray gun to come out shiny?
Is there a shiny paint I put in it or is that the clear coat to make the base coat shiny? This paint will be used on a metal frame.

Also is there a paint I can use for my exhaust pipe? I know spray paint has a heat made paint so it doesn't melt off but what paint do I use if I only have a paint gun?

CUSTOM_GRAPHICS~2.png

Board Moderator
PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2021 2:17 pm
If you are planning on painting a bike to look like the one in the picture, save yourself a lot of time, money and anguish and have a professional do it. :goodjob:
1968 Coronet R/T

ACTS 16:31

No Turning Back

USA
PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2021 9:45 am
Wsgone wrote:How do I turn the paint from a spray gun to come out shiny?
Is there a shiny paint I put in it or is that the clear coat to make the base coat shiny? This paint will be used on a metal frame.

Also is there a paint I can use for my exhaust pipe? I know spray paint has a heat made paint so it doesn't melt off but what paint do I use if I only have a paint gun?

CUSTOM_GRAPHICS~2.png
Base coat dries to a semi gloss/satin finish--the clear makes it glossy. Good question about a high heat paint for exhaust.......I know there is rattle can stuff for that but not sure how well it really holds up. I'd call your local Napa or Carquest (that sells automotive paint) and ask what they would recommend.

Top Contributor
PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2021 11:26 am
the exh. tubing is generally S/S it will polish easily to a chrome like finish then after it get hot on the bike it turns to a cool gold color. this is my Buell i did.
ebay 1 509.jpg
they say my name is Jay

Return to Body and Paint