Fish eyes or Solvent "pop"

General Discussion. Make yourself at home...read, ask and answer!

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2021 7:07 pm
1623369967501722493267.jpg
I didn't have any fisheyes in my sealer coat, OK thru 3 base color coats. Two pearl coats. Then... **** clear! fish eyes or Solvent pop I'm not too sure. I proceeded to sand them gone. But after all the clear went away and most of the pearl and a couple small sand thrus too! I'm now needing to spray color coat and pearl and then the clear. I've read on here that I shouldn't have wiped in between clear coats with tack rag. I should have done an alcohol/ water mix before the clear and that would have also helped with the static because oh my I got lots of nibs and a bug too. Do I have to sand the fish eyes all the way out? They are real close to being gone but i really don't want to sand thru the color anymore. Advice please. Materials metalux, sealer, base and pearl, low Voc. Clear- smart classic low Voc.
1623369967501722493267.jpg

I know my picture are crappy but I haven't figured out how to get good pictures to upload. But I see that a few of you have read my post but nobody replied! Just a word of encouragement, and/or some helpful advice would be great. I'll answer any questions!
Attachments
16233703296151389924186.jpg

Top Contributor
Australia
PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2021 3:41 am
Philtrytotricoat wrote:I've read on here that I shouldn't have wiped in between clear coats with tack rag.

Wow! You must have waited a long time for the clear to dry enough to even try to tack rag it. If so, then that may be half your problem - fresh clear over half cured clear almost never goes well.

Certainly use the alcohol/water mix but before your base coat, not after. Tack and blow after your last base coat (you could tack after each coat if you really wanted to). Gently but evenly. Rubbing hard will produce static which is not what you want. There are anti-static tack cloths available. They're good, albeit expensive in small quantities, but cheaper than a rework.

Sorry, I can't see those photos enough to say, but I'd suspect a variation of solvent pop rather than fisheyes, especially if you waited a long time between clear coats.
Chris

Board Moderator
USA
PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2021 8:19 am
I blew your pic.s up and threw some colored filters over them. Looks like solvent pop to me.
Metal, wood, fiberglass, we work it all... www.furniturephysicians.com We can restore the irreplaceable!

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2021 8:42 am
Hey hello Chris and Darrel! Thank you both for your responses. It's been awhile since we chatted! I had a paint booth to build, a fresh forced air breathing system to install for my hood, aquired a 5hp 30 gallon compressor with a 10 gallon added tank too. A couple air dryers, diaphragm regulators, bigger hose 3/8 high flow fittings... Other do dad's to aid me in my quest to tri coat pearl white!! I gotta take the woman to work right now.... I've got questions!

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2021 10:27 am
It really wasn't a long time between last coat of pearl, I did two light coats. Then I had to pick up the woman from her work and that landed kinda right in between the time to start the clear. TDS says 30 min flash time after last base coat but to definately allow sufficient flash time before doing the clear. Going to try to post picture of TDS. It's not warm here in San Francisco. So I do use a heater in my paint booth but I turned it off while I was away. I figure it was about an hour or so flash time. I thought since I wasn't flashing at the prescribed 77 degrees that would be OK.
To clarify something for me..
I thought solvent pop came from too short a flash time. Or if there was too much cross flow wind to cause a skin over. So Chris, you were thinking I flashed too long. So I can mess it up either way!? Well I know I can mess things up every which way! So it is a kinda tight window of getting the next coat on? I noticed that when I wet sanded the pops out approx 4 days later I still smelled solvent.
I had the bumper cover done a long time ago, but it had a little bit of tiger stripe to it... That was when I was painting outside in the wind! Then I tried to just accept it but when I redid the fender it came out so much better that I couldn't just look away from the tiger stripes.
I also figured out that the paint store tally didn't do me right. I asked for everything I needed to come from the same system Metalux LV line. But I didn't know any better and the guy gave me grey sealer! After doing some looking into they do offer a white sealer which I really think I should have gotton. Because it caused me to run out of white base coat trying to cover the grey. The bumper cover really looked darker and with the tiger stripes I couldn't not redo it. So I had to go back to the paint store and get more white, I have plenty of pearl left. For it being kinda clear, two light coats really covered good. And not being outside in the wind and having more compressor and air flow it came out real even looked real good.
OK too much of a book! A question do I need to worry about these little sand thru spots on the bumper cover? I still only have the grey sealer. I was planning on two medium wet coats of white then two light coats of pearl and four coats of clear. I almost double the flash times for the base and pearl and then waited a little more than an hour before I did the clear. My"booth" has cross flow air, thru filters but the painting area isn't directly in that flow zone. I'm going to try pictures again.

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2021 12:10 pm
16234259579771763404708.jpg
16234259579771763404708.jpg
Attachments
16234260058572091332423.jpg

Return to Body and Paint