Highly strange problem

General Discussion. Make yourself at home...read, ask and answer!

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2021 12:46 pm
Unable to sand a black pearl door down on a 2020 Civic Coupe.
I spray my base at 28-32 psi using a Devilbiss Finishline 670.
I then lay down 3 coats of SpeedKote Glamour clear and after 24 hours when I attempt to color sand and buff with a wool pad and 3M Perfect-t compound I then hand sand with 2000 grit and cannot get all of the orange peel out without going thru the clear.
The issue is by the time I get all of the clear coat sanded flat it is a dull finish and appears as if the basecoat has been reached and is no longer able to be shined.
Any ideas from the experts out there? They want 600.00 at the body shop and Im already into it for 400.00.

Thanks in advance,
Ray

No Turning Back

USA
PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2021 1:23 pm
Not understand your question completely. Clear is supposed to be flat when it's sanded properly. That doesn't mean you sanded it all off. If you did, you didn't have enough clear on it, OR you had a huge excess of orange peel. 3-4 coats is usually enough clear to sand and buff, especially if you only use 2000 grit.
I start my cuts with 1000 (sometimes 800 if there are runs, or excessive orange peel). When around 90-95% of the clear is flat, with only a little bit of shiny spots left, I switch to 1500, then 2000. Should be completely flat by then, and ready to buff.
You'll know if you cut through all the clear, as the sanding sludge will be the color of the base paint, not white.

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2021 1:30 pm
Hi,
3 heavy coats of clear were added an d in spite of that to get all of the OP out with 2500 I get right back down to the base and instead of a shiny polished black it comes out with a greyish cast. (image is unpolished)
Here is an example of what Im up against.
I done it the way that you suggested as well.
Attachments
cc.PNG

Top Contributor
PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2021 6:25 pm
I'm a little confused also 3 coats of clear should be good you say you sanded with 2000 grit AFTER you used the perfect-it WHY? then you say to get it flat you used 2500 what? you haven't sand the O/P enough you need to get ALL those little shinny spots out. i would do as chipolds said hit it first with 800 lightly, just enough to cut the O/P down. if you use the 800 or 1000 you must sand all that out with the next grit. for a beginner you can use a guide coat to make sure you've sanded enough. then 1000 and 1500. if you have 3 good wet coats of clear on you shouldn't sand through. you may have to get a more aggressive compound 1500 sanding profile should buff easy it may take 2-3 times with the compound .
Jay D.
they say my name is Jay

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2021 6:36 pm
Jay let me clarify. Sorry for being vague.
After 2000 grit then 2500 grit I compound with perfect it number 1.
By the time I get all of the OP out I have no clear coat left and it wont buff out and shine.
I use Speedkote Glamour clear with 3 wet coats.
For base Matrix mid grade.
It's almost as if the Clear is too grainy and or hard.
I also have the same problem with my black Lexus.
I actually painted a show car once so Im not a complete n00bie.
The only difference with the show car was I used a different base and clear.

Top Contributor
USA
PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2021 9:46 pm
rambrosi wrote:.........
I use Speedkote Glamour clear with 3 wet coats.
It's almost as if the Clear is too grainy and or hard.
I also have the same problem with my black Lexus.
I actually painted a show car once so Im not a complete n00bie.
The only difference with the show car was I used a different base and clear.

I have a feeling that the Speedokote clear you're using is a production
type clear intended for spot repairs and panel painting. That's why you're
getting lots of orange peel when doing an all-over job.

If you're about to sand through the clear, I'd be temped to re-clear it
using another couple of coats with another brand or type of clear....
"If you can't move it, paint it." - U.S. Army

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2021 10:28 pm
Figured it out.
From the appearance of the grey dull finish after compounding I thought what the hell if I break thru I break thru.
At the point when I hit it with a wool compound pad and more 3M it went from a dull grey to a high flat shine. Turns out I didnt go far enough out of my initial fear and failure to realize my mistake. I have order some of the new house of color USC01 for the bumper. Wish me luck.

Return to Body and Paint