Does this look like a poor color match?

General Discussion. Make yourself at home...read, ask and answer!

Non-Lurker

USA
PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2021 11:54 pm
Hello, I've had my drivers side door repainted because there was a bunch of big deep scratches on it. I didn't want the paint blended because I did not care too much about it being perfect. However, I feel like the paint doesn't match at all. Some people are telling me it looks good enough, but every time I look at it, it just doesn't look right. This was not a cheap paint job either. I've also noticed, the left side of the drivers door is some how lighter than the right side. How is that even possible? In the picture below, it looks like there is a shadow casted on the door, but I can assure you it's not. Did they put more paint on the right side of the door or something? I'm really confused what they even did. Can I get some opinions on this?

Top Contributor
USA
PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2021 8:00 am
They picked the wrong variant
JC.

(It's not custom painting-it's custom sanding)

Board Moderator
USA
PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2021 8:05 am
Maybe it's just me but it seems you kind of "doomed" yourself right from square one with that "no blending" thing. I mean honestly even if the color code was correct I think I am seeing like a crap load of fading/shifting in the original paint. Did they do just a straight paint code or did they tell you that they were going to scan/match to the paint? Any talk of "variants?" Hmmmmm.... and yes, as I view this door head on that left side is lighter than the right side.
Let's get some comments from the more experienced production guys on here.....
Metal, wood, fiberglass, we work it all... www.furniturephysicians.com We can restore the irreplaceable!

Non-Lurker

USA
PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2021 8:48 am
DarrelK wrote:Maybe it's just me but it seems you kind of "doomed" yourself right from square one with that "no blending" thing. I mean honestly even if the color code was correct I think I am seeing like a crap load of fading/shifting in the original paint. Did they do just a straight paint code or did they tell you that they were going to scan/match to the paint? Any talk of "variants?" Hmmmmm.... and yes, as I view this door head on that left side is lighter than the right side.
Let's get some comments from the more experienced production guys on here.....

They said they couldn't guarantee a color match without blending, which I was fine with. They said they would get as close as possible.

Also, believe it or not, that fender you see next to the door is brand new. It wasn't even painted with the car and it matches so much better than the door.

Top Contributor
Australia
PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2021 9:21 am
DarrelK wrote:it seems you kind of "doomed" yourself right from square one with that "no blending" thing.

This.

Admittedly it does seem that the colour match could have been better and the blend should have been angled, but by refusing to let them do it right they've given you a cheap and nasty job, to match what you're willing to pay. Sounds like I'm being too harsh? Can't tell you how many times I've had to deal with the situation where I've told the customer that it will not match unless blended, but they've declined to pay the bit extra. This is the result and you got exactly what you asked for:
CuriousQuestions30 wrote: I didn't want the paint blended because I did not care too much about it being perfect.

To paint a door with some minor repair (scratches), plus blend into adjacent door and guard I would have charged around $1000. Now I know that labour rates are a bit different but, honestly, how much did you pay for this job?
Chris

Non-Lurker

USA
PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2021 9:46 am
NFT5 wrote:
DarrelK wrote:it seems you kind of "doomed" yourself right from square one with that "no blending" thing.

This.

Admittedly it does seem that the colour match could have been better and the blend should have been angled, but by refusing to let them do it right they've given you a cheap and nasty job, to match what you're willing to pay. Sounds like I'm being too harsh? Can't tell you how many times I've had to deal with the situation where I've told the customer that it will not match unless blended, but they've declined to pay the bit extra. This is the result and you got exactly what you asked for:
CuriousQuestions30 wrote: I didn't want the paint blended because I did not care too much about it being perfect.

To paint a door with some minor repair (scratches), plus blend into adjacent door and guard I would have charged around $1000. Now I know that labour rates are a bit different but, honestly, how much did you pay for this job?

It cost around $700

Top Contributor
PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2021 11:34 am
NFT5 wrote:

This.

:goodpost: i'll go along with the variant being off posibly, BUT as said YOU doomed your self by not letting them do it correctly and now want to complain.
Jay D.
they say my name is Jay

Return to Body and Paint