No Peel Then Some Peel--Why??

General Discussion. Make yourself at home...read, ask and answer!

No Turning Back

USA
PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2021 11:35 am
Shot a pair of HD Trike fenders last week with my new GTi ProLite (T110 cap/1.2 tip.
I was very pleased with the tops of the fenders--zero peel and just a deep gloss--much better than any OEM finish I have seen. Now for the vertical side portion........more peel than I was happy with. Kinda stumped. Same clear in the cup, same technique, same time shooting, etc.. I had 3 good coats on it so after working with the 1500 wet cut and buff, I got it mirror like but I did take at least 3 hr. to get it where it needed to be. Just curious what I did wrong. Maybe it's just a learning curve going to a new gun for the clear. Any/all advice is appreciated. Before I did the fenders I shot another smaller fender and a rad cover and it came out glass smooth with no hint of peel, so I know I can do it, just stumped why it happened on the larger flat surface of the trike fenders.

Top Contributor
PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2021 11:44 am
most of the time its application. the painter moves the gun more slowly or has a different distance to the surface. it's a fine line on a vertical surface next time try and reduce your clear just a tad like a 1/2 oz to a cup, it will let the clear go on thinner and smoother without the thick film build and the possibility of runs of the regular mix.
Jay D.
they say my name is Jay

Board Moderator
PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2021 12:05 pm
Practice makes perfect. :wink:
1968 Coronet R/T

ACTS 16:31

No Turning Back

USA
PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2021 1:27 pm
badsix wrote:reduce your clear just a tad like a 1/2 oz to a cup, it will let the clear go on thinner and smoother without the thick film build and the possibility of runs of the regular mix.
Jay D.
Funny you should mention that, I did get the start of a a curtain run on the side. I usually go with 5% reducer--maybe I'll up it a bit next time. I'm getting comfortable with cut and buff so if it messes up, I can usually fix it.

Return to Body and Paint