Rainbow effect on paint.

General Discussion. Make yourself at home...read, ask and answer!

Non-Lurker

USA
PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2021 11:29 pm
Hi there.
So it’s my first time painting. Please bear with me.
I am painting a red Tacoma black.
I am using a Lumabase 2K black sealer, Lumabase Black base coat and Lumabase clear coat. I’m also using an Astro sunlight.
I’m only doing the door jambs at this point and I applied 4 coats of base coat. What could be the cause of this transparent/rainbow effect? https://imgur.com/gallery/I1Xol59

Top Contributor
PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2021 11:57 am
looks like your applying the black base over the red your base material must be very poor quality to not cover in 4 coats. BUT i do see places that have very little coverage, your gun set up should be looked at. your not getting the base on evenly, you have it heavy in some places with good coverage and very little in others. gun set up or adjustment and spray technique will be a start. you might try a dark sealer that would help you. also reduce your clear some with the appropriate temp range reducer, that should help with the O/P. I'm still with the idea of poor quality material.
Jay D.
they say my name is Jay

Board Moderator
PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2021 3:07 pm
Lumabase???

Is this some generic brand name that gets relabeled?
1968 Coronet R/T

ACTS 16:31

Non-Lurker

USA
PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2021 11:11 am
Thanks for the input Jay D.
So the issue was the wet edge was not being followed through leaving me a couple areas with tiger stripe in the paint. It was a little confusing to why the color went from black to copper/red with a rainbow effect.

Return to Body and Paint