painting bottom surfaces

General Discussion. Make yourself at home...read, ask and answer!

Non-Lurker

USA
PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2021 2:19 pm
Hi all,
I want to get some primer on the bottoms of my rocker panels. Can I stick a rubber hose onto the tube of a siphon gun and put the other end in an open container to do that? I know I can just shoot at an awkward angle and get it done, but I've always been curious about this. Will the suction be strong enough? I'm curious about it because I know pressure pot setups do the opposite. They pressurize the pot and push the material through the gun. It would be nice to be able to turn the gun at the right angle to do the bottoms of the rockers and even the edges around the wheel house.
Scott

Board Moderator
USA
PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2021 9:56 pm
Seems like it would just be easier to lift the car up some or use a bag system in your gravity gun.....
Metal, wood, fiberglass, we work it all... www.furniturephysicians.com We can restore the irreplaceable!

Top Contributor
Australia
PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2021 11:30 pm
Or get a gun like this:
Pic 015.jpg

Gun rotates around side mounted pot. Makes painting bottom surfaces a breeze.
Chris

Board Moderator
PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2021 8:23 am
DarrelK wrote:Seems like it would just be easier to lift the car up some or use a bag system in your gravity gun.....

I bought the DeVilbiss DeKups Starter Kit for my Iwata LPH400 but haven't even tried it out yet.
1968 Coronet R/T

ACTS 16:31

Top Contributor
PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2021 9:56 pm
if your useing a suction gun just turn the suction tube around so its facing back and have the vent hole facing forward and spray away. the normal setup for a suction gun is to have the pickup tube facing forward so when your spraying down on a horizontal surface the tube is in the paint the vent is at the back so paint doesn't dribble out. you should be able to loosen the cup assembly and turn it 180 deg. and be good.
Jay D.
they say my name is Jay

Return to Body and Paint