Good paint system?

General Discussion. Make yourself at home...read, ask and answer!

Non-Lurker

USA
PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2021 5:28 pm
Hoping to get some advice on what paint system and brand to use on my 91 FJ80. The plan is that I sand, fix any small dings, shoot primer in my garage, block sand with 400 and 600 and hand it over to a shop for final base/clear. I have it sanded down to the primer with areas of leftover base and the clear is off. There are some areas where metal is bare but I can hit that with some etch primer.

Looking for a single easy-to-use and forgiving paint system that most paint shops can work with so it can't be some random brand that shops do not use. Any opinions out there?

Top Contributor
Australia
PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2021 6:20 pm
Most shops won't work with paint brands outside of what they have.

Choose your shop and talk to them about your plan since many won't trust your prep work either.
Chris

Non-Lurker

USA
PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2021 8:14 pm
NFT5 wrote:Most shops won't work with paint brands outside of what they have.

Choose your shop and talk to them about your plan since many won't trust your prep work either.

Yeah, kinda worried about that as well. I might have to do it myself. I just thought there might be a "standard" system that most shops use or at least a primer that can take just about any base/clear?

I've done a 55 Chevy in the past up to base and the shop was pretty impressed, but that was 14 years ago and i'm sure what I used then is out of date now. Is 2k urethane primer still used widely or has the industry moved to water based primer?

Settled In
USA
PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2021 11:46 pm
Hi Jomichael,

I started as you are, sanding, priming etc. ready for top coat. Then I went and asked 4 different shops, 2 recommended. They all said if they were to do the job they would undo all I did then re-prime, prep then paint.
So, I'm now in the middle of doing it my self, with reading here and too much on the web, along with the great help here with all my beginner questions, I'm getting closer.

All I can say is give it a try, it can't be that bad if you're going as far as you say, might as well finish the job, that's what I'm trying to do.

Good Luck and keep us posted.

TX
Mr fixit_PDX
Chris :)

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2021 5:20 am
as a shop owner we stopped many years ago doing any painting on cars that the customer did them selfs.
shops pick what system they use for many different reasons so there isn't one system most shops use.
if your going to do the work your self pick a system and stay with in the system you have picked. read all the TDS sheets on what your using.

No Turning Back

USA
PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2021 7:02 am
I don't know if this is still applicable, as I used to do this a lot back around 20-25 years ago.
If I had a job I didn't want to fuss with the paint, I did all the bodywork and prep and would bring it to a local Maaco. Not a regular bodyshop, but, more or less, a paint shop. I always brought the paint I wanted them to use, and would also tip the painter (under the guise of wanting to talk to him about the job). While places these these often do pretty lousy bodywork, and sometimes prep, they usually paid their painters good money. So the paint jobs came out pretty nice, being in a top line booth, and all.
Did a bunch of cars for the family like this, so I know they were good for 5+ years.

Return to Body and Paint