Wet sanded through the flow coat, and now have a "halo"

General Discussion. Make yourself at home...read, ask and answer!

Non-Lurker

USA
PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2021 9:11 pm
Well, I think I messed up. I worked in autobody for a few years about 35 years ago, so I decided to paint a Corvette I am restoring myself. I painted it with base coat and 3 coats of clear, wet sanded it smooth, and then applied two coats of "flow coat" (which I only learned about last month)

Unfortunately, I got fisheyes in the flow coat, and then sanded through it trying to remove them. I assumed sanding through the flow coat wasn't a problem, since I had three other clear coats below it, but when I cut through it, to my surprise, it made a "halo." :shocked:

Is there any way to fix the halo? If not, can I just touch up these areas with more base coat and then re-clear the entire panel? The base coat is black, if that matters.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Top Contributor
Australia
PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2021 8:43 am
You'll need to put some primer over the area you cut through and extend out a bit to cover any feathered areas. Then base coat over the primer, blending out beyond the primer. Reclear the whole panel. Usual prep before each of primer, base and clear with special attention to making sure that the feathering is gradual and that there are no edges around the primer, including where you feathered the old paint. Tip: Put the primer on in light coats and allow to flash well. Even better is doing it in two sessions, sanding in between
Chris

Non-Lurker

USA
PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2021 9:23 am
Thanks. I have another question. The halos are on the section below the rear window (near the gas cap), and on the upper part behind the t tops. I am wondering if I can do a soft edge at the body line on the top of the quarter panels, or at least at the point where the two colors meet in the middle of the quarters? Any thoughts?

I'm not sure how to attach a picture, but it is the same car as shown in this video. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dIVhSUHKT3Q

And just to clarify, there is not any exposed base coat; I sanded through the flow coat to the clear coat below it. I'm not sure if that makes any difference.

Top Contributor
Australia
PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2021 6:37 pm
If I was repairing something on the side of the quarter on that car then I'd probably risk fly masking along that line. But, to do it from the top is much more difficult because the air in your gun will lift the edge of the fly so the edge isn't as gradual. That's on top of the need to get the final line in exactly the right spot along the line.

You can reinforce the folded tape with another piece, inside, and that will help with the edge lifting and you can make sure that you angle the gun a bit so you don't push clear up under the edge. So, can it be done? Yes, but your call.
Chris

Return to Body and Paint