mosquito in clear should I re-clear?

General Discussion. Make yourself at home...read, ask and answer!

Non-Lurker

USA
PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2021 7:58 am
so I pulled a amatuer move and got a mosquito in my clear and didn't remove it... after reading now I know that I should have.... I am using tamco products and the show clear. my base coat is a heavy metallic and I did a drop coat as well so my first coat of clear didn't fully cover the metallic flakes so I am not sure if that counts as a coat or not? regardless as I was spraying my 4th coat of clear I noticed some how a mosquito found its way into my booth and was wiggling around inside my 3rd coat so I'm not sure how deep he burred himself. I did wetsand it out with 1000 grit wet but now I'm questioning if I should re clear the bedside?

Top Contributor
PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2021 3:17 pm
there's a couple things you could do. i would sand it carefully w ith some 1500, just enough to get rid of the 1000 girt scratches. then some 2000 being careful not to sand through the clear. with 4 coats to work with you should be able to pull it off . the reason for going to 2000 or even finer is that it won't take to long with the buffer and less chance of a burn through. next would be to sand the side with 800 and reclear the compete side, probably the safest way.
Jay D.
they say my name is Jay

Fully Engaged

New Zealand
PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2021 4:07 pm
I feel for you.

I was painting the trunk on a perfectly still day and my friend's dog came over to say hello. Yep... One hair floated about in the air then landed in the clear coat. I left it there LOL

Non-Lurker

USA
PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2021 4:42 pm
badsix wrote:there's a couple things you could do. i would sand it carefully w ith some 1500, just enough to get rid of the 1000 girt scratches. then some 2000 being careful not to sand through the clear. with 4 coats to work with you should be able to pull it off . the reason for going to 2000 or even finer is that it won't take to long with the buffer and less chance of a burn through. next would be to sand the side with 800 and reclear the compete side, probably the safest way.
Jay D.

Thanks for the help! I now sanded the whole side up to 3000 and it looks good but is there any real way to know if your too thin on the clear? I assume only way would be if you see color on the polishing pad or sandpaper while polishing or wet sanding? Ugh I’m torn if I should re clear.

Top Contributor
Australia
PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2021 7:37 pm
The best way is to measure paint thickness before you clear and then again after. I guess you didn't do this but after 4.5-5 coats you should have plenty still on there.

Buff it up and don't go too heavy or long where the mozzie landed. If you go through then reclear, if not then you've saved yourself a job.
Chris

Return to Body and Paint