1k Clear - sanded too much before polish

General Discussion. Make yourself at home...read, ask and answer!

Non-Lurker

USA
PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2021 5:17 pm
Hi all,

New to the forums. I recently painted a 15 year old motorcycle using dupli-color products. Universal black and white, self-etching primer, and their 1k high gloss clear. After letting it cure for a couple weeks, I went to do the wet sand and buff, but I had to sand more than I wanted and the clear coat is looking very thin. I’d like to do another couple of coats of clear and then do a final cut and buff. This is where I’m having an issue. I painted about 10 medium size pieces of metal as samples since I’m new to this and wanted to be able to experiment. I tried doing another clear coat on one sample and it immediate got all cracked and wrinkly after application. Do I need to completely sand the clear coat off, or is there something I can do to be able to re-clear everything?
Last edited by Danielgarb8 on Mon Jul 19, 2021 6:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Board Moderator
USA
PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2021 5:23 pm
Are you just working with aerosol cans here or are you using their Paint Shop series in a regular spray gun setup?
Metal, wood, fiberglass, we work it all... www.furniturephysicians.com We can restore the irreplaceable!

Fully Engaged

New Zealand
PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2021 5:27 pm
I'm guessing your samples didn't get a couple of weeks to cure. Can you experiment on the underside of the gas tank (now that it's had a couple of weeks to cure and degas) where it's not so important?

Non-Lurker

USA
PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2021 6:01 pm
The samples were painted at the same time as the tank, and yes, I’m using aerosol cans. I figured if it looks good, then Ike done, and if not, I was planning on having them done professionally anyways.

Non-Lurker

USA
PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2021 7:24 pm
DarrelK wrote:Are you just working with aerosol cans here or are you using their Paint Shop series in a regular spray gun setup?

Aerosol.

Non-Lurker

USA
PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2021 7:25 pm
Bill911 wrote:I'm guessing your samples didn't get a couple of weeks to cure. Can you experiment on the underside of the gas tank (now that it's had a couple of weeks to cure and degas) where it's not so important?

Samples were painted at the same time as the tank.

Board Moderator
USA
PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2021 10:11 pm
With aerosols just about anything could have happened. To get the wrinkling you may just have sprayed the stuff too wet (hot) and it was enough to dissolve lift the stuff. And cutting/buffing aerosol films? Cans are low solids leaving no real thickness, you'll just cut/sand right through the film..... Main ingredients in those cans are acetone, propane, and butane....lacquer solids? not so much.....
Metal, wood, fiberglass, we work it all... www.furniturephysicians.com We can restore the irreplaceable!

Top Contributor
PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2021 12:18 am
i'm under the impression that the Dupli color is lacquer. shooting lacquer over lacquer should be ok at any time of cure. are you sure that there isn't something else under there.
Jay D.
they say my name is Jay

Non-Lurker

USA
PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2021 7:49 am
badsix wrote:i'm under the impression that the Dupli color is lacquer. shooting lacquer over lacquer should be ok at any time of cure. are you sure that there isn't something else under there.
Jay D.

Just the primer and color. I took everything down to bare metal/plastic.

DG

Top Contributor
PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2021 11:11 am
i would call Dupli Color and ask them. if there products are a true lacquer then you shouldn't of had a problem. please let us know what you find out? i don't use duple Color much but i'm interested what caused your problem.
Jay D.
they say my name is Jay
Next

Return to Body and Paint