PPG product selection help...

General Discussion. Make yourself at home...read, ask and answer!

Board Moderator
USA
PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2021 9:09 am
Well, that's what I prefer to do with bumpers. If you break into raw plastic then you get into adhesion promoters, etc.
Metal, wood, fiberglass, we work it all... www.furniturephysicians.com We can restore the irreplaceable!

Non-Lurker

USA
PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2021 6:19 pm
Brian0000 wrote:
... The PRH paint code calls for a G7 undercoat. That would be a dark gray sealer, You can use the DAS 3027 sealer for that.

Don't mean to hijack the thread but can anyone tell me the correct undercoat/sealer G-shade/color, for the following GM Color Codes...

43/WA177B & 43U/WA299C. (Both Metallic Greens)

Thanks! ZT

Top Contributor
Australia
PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2021 8:26 pm
Don't know where you got those paint codes. Had to try a whole pile of variations.

For 43U (Light Evergreen), in Axalta, it's VS4 or VS5 depending on the variant (most are VS5).

For 177B (Emerald Green), it's VS7.

For 299C (Woodland Green), it's VS7.

The PPG shadings are pretty much the same.
Chris

Top Contributor
USA
PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2021 8:34 pm
ZTatZAU wrote:
Brian0000 wrote:
... The PRH paint code calls for a G7 undercoat. That would be a dark gray sealer, You can use the DAS 3027 sealer for that.

Don't mean to hijack the thread but can anyone tell me the correct undercoat/sealer G-shade/color, for the following GM Color Codes...
43/WA177B & 43U/WA299C. (Both Metallic Greens)

Thanks! ZT

Both are G7 and the 299c is not available in deltron "DBC"
Experienced Trained Certified

SATA Spray Equipment Germany
Axalta ChromaBase Elite Standox Imron 5000 6000
PPG Delfeet Deltron Global Matthews
Sherwin Williams Ultra 7000 Genesis
Valspar DeBeer LIC
Akzo Nobel Sikkens Lesonal

Non-Lurker

USA
PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2021 12:09 am
Thanks Chris! Thanks Dave!
NFT5 wrote:Don't know where you got those paint codes.

I had a 1998 Blazer with a special LT trim package that came from the factory with 43U Woodland Green Metallic and 55A Gold accent striping (As per GM) but a 1998 Blazer Sales Brochure showed only two other exterior green colors... the closest being 43 Emerald Green Metallic. The corresponding 43/WA177B and 43U/WA299C came while researching PaintRef.com for matching PPG and S-W colors for a motorcycle project.
PainterDave wrote:Both are G7 and the 299c is not available in deltron "DBC"

Thanks for the G7 info on both and I did notice that 299C is not available in DBC but that's OK. After seeing some nice big paint chips for both colors at the local S-W store, I decided I liked the darker 43/WA177B more than the 43U/WA299C I had always planned for the sportster I'm working on. So I'm still undecided as to PPG or S-W.

I see you list both Deltron and Ultra in your credits/certifications, so maybe you can help me make some decisions. I'm pretty much a DIYer starting from scratch so my expectations are realistically something less than a SEMA show stopper. With that in mind, would you advise a beginner to go with the high end DBC or Ultra 7K or get my feet wet with the much less expensive Shop-Line or ATX BC/CC lines?

Thanks again for your replies! ZT

Top Contributor
USA
PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2021 1:39 pm
ZTatZAU wrote:Thanks Chris! Thanks Dave!
NFT5 wrote:Don't know where you got those paint codes.

I had a 1998 Blazer with a special LT trim package that came from the factory with 43U Woodland Green Metallic and 55A Gold accent striping (As per GM) but a 1998 Blazer Sales Brochure showed only two other exterior green colors... the closest being 43 Emerald Green Metallic. The corresponding 43/WA177B and 43U/WA299C came while researching PaintRef.com for matching PPG and S-W colors for a motorcycle project.
PainterDave wrote:Both are G7 and the 299c is not available in deltron "DBC"

Thanks for the G7 info on both and I did notice that 299C is not available in DBC but that's OK. After seeing some nice big paint chips for both colors at the local S-W store, I decided I liked the darker 43/WA177B more than the 43U/WA299C I had always planned for the sportster I'm working on. So I'm still undecided as to PPG or S-W.

I see you list both Deltron and Ultra in your credits/certifications, so maybe you can help me make some decisions. I'm pretty much a DIYer starting from scratch so my expectations are realistically something less than a SEMA show stopper. With that in mind, would you advise a beginner to go with the high end DBC or Ultra 7K or get my feet wet with the much less expensive Shop-Line or ATX BC/CC lines?

Thanks again for your replies! ZT

you would be fine with shop line or SW, i wouldnt spend the money on DBC.

where are you located ?
Experienced Trained Certified

SATA Spray Equipment Germany
Axalta ChromaBase Elite Standox Imron 5000 6000
PPG Delfeet Deltron Global Matthews
Sherwin Williams Ultra 7000 Genesis
Valspar DeBeer LIC
Akzo Nobel Sikkens Lesonal

Non-Lurker

USA
PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2021 5:49 pm
Thanks Dave!
PainterDave wrote:you would be fine with shop line or SW, i wouldnt spend the money on DBC...
And I assume the same advice would apply to SW's ATX line rather than their Ultra 7K?
PainterDave wrote:... where are you located ?
I'm about 50 miles west of Chicago and fortunate to have both PPG & SW stores nearby. To be honest though, I've gotten some questionable advice from both stores so I want to better understand the entire prep & BC/CC process and then decide on exactly what products I want to use before placing an order.

If I go with PPG, I'm thinking of starting with their JP37X epoxy primer over bare metal and some filler followed by additional filler if necessary and a G7 (gray?) shade of JP202 HB Primer Surfacer (and maybe a sealer) before the WA177B dark green metallic BC & CC. Although from what I've been reading, I may be able to apply the BC right over the epoxy primer if it blocks out OK. If not, I'd like to have contrasting shades of primer while blocking but still wind up with an acceptable G shade undercoat directly under the BC color(s). Any suggestions appreciated.

As for the basecoat, as I learned more, I asked the PPG store if the "PPGMBCC" Code C - BC they had previously quoted me was the regular Shop-Line JB paint or the JBP (Plus) BC, they said it was actually neither but rather a PPG "Omni" (I think?) color and more comparable to the regular JB Shop-Line BC than the JBP Plus Line. Any info or guidance on this appreciated?

Thanks again! ZT
Previous

Return to Body and Paint