Needing guidance on my paint project

General Discussion. Make yourself at home...read, ask and answer!



Settled In
Posts: 10
Joined: Wed Jul 21, 2021 10:23 am

Country:
USA
PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2021 9:10 am
jackinvt wrote:
NFT5 wrote:Before you do anything, pick up the phone and ring the technical guys at PPG.


Great advice, makes sense. I guess it never even occurred to me that they (PPG) might actually talk to someone like me doing a once and done. I'll give that a go. Thanks!


So I called PPG and confirmed my conundrum. They don't recommend any of their high build primers be put over rattle can rustoleum etch primer. This is apparently due to the fact that it has not been tested. They did suggest that I remove all the etch primer and start with a urethane high build primer. I can/may remove it on the top side finish surfaces but I am not willing to remove it on the underside surfaces, just too much effort required. The specification sheet for the urethane high build recommended (OMNI MP 282) does state it can be applied over etch primer. So I think it may be doable, but no guarantees of course, not tested. The next recommended product for over the high build is an epoxy primer (OMNI MP170), followed the Acrylic Lacquaer finish coat. So I have a lot of sanding to do or take the chance. But first more homework.

User avatar

Board Moderator
Posts: 8692
Joined: Fri Oct 20, 2006 12:40 pm
Location: ARIZONA
PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2021 9:20 am
One of the reasons we highly advise against using rattle cans on vehicle paint jobs.
1968 Coronet R/T


ACTS 16:31



Top Contributor
Posts: 5667
Joined: Tue May 19, 2009 7:10 pm
Location: OREGON COAST
PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2021 10:18 am
JUST TO MUCH EFFORT. :rolleyes: I think you should be ok useing the hi build over the etch, BUT thats a big think as it might come off later or cause other problems. i don't like or trust putting anything over Rustoleum IT JUST ISN'T WORTH THE CHANCE. man up and take it off, and start with some proven products. a D./A with some 180 should do it quickly.
Jay D.
they say my name is Jay



Settled In
Posts: 10
Joined: Wed Jul 21, 2021 10:23 am

Country:
USA
PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2021 11:33 am
'68 Coronet R/T wrote:One of the reasons we highly advise against using rattle cans on vehicle paint jobs.


Yes, I now realize the error of my ways. But there will not be a next time, this is a once and done.



Settled In
Posts: 10
Joined: Wed Jul 21, 2021 10:23 am

Country:
USA
PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2021 11:42 am
badsix wrote:JUST TO MUCH EFFORT. :rolleyes: I think you should be ok useing the hi build over the etch, BUT thats a big think as it might come off later or cause other problems. i don't like or trust putting anything over Rustoleum IT JUST ISN'T WORTH THE CHANCE. man up and take it off, and start with some proven products. a D./A with some 180 should do it quickly.
Jay D.


I knew that would get a rise. I will however man up and sand the top surfaces down to metal. But I will not go through the effort required to do the bottom side, call it a test/experiment. I honestly wish I had left the body bare metal through the winter (indoors). I left the frame bare metal, as I had immediate repair work to do, and it was fine, never flashed.
.



Settled In
Posts: 10
Joined: Wed Jul 21, 2021 10:23 am

Country:
USA
PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2021 6:40 am
Well so far no one is even willing to suggest a primer to cover my rattle can Rustoleum etch primer. Yes, I know, remove it, and I have on all exterior surfaces. However it will remain on the underside surfaces. The TDS for the etch primer mentions nothing about what to topcoat it with. Rustoleum suggested another one of their rattle can fill primers. The folks at TCP Global responded several times but will NOT make any recommendations. Even when asked what primer can be used over ANY etch primer they refused to answer the question. I am now left to guess what to use.

User avatar

No Turning Back
Posts: 536
Joined: Tue Oct 17, 2017 10:06 pm
Location: I live in a house
Country:
USA
PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2021 1:31 pm
jackinvt wrote:Well so far no one is even willing to suggest a primer to cover my rattle can Rustoleum etch primer. Yes, I know, remove it, and I have on all exterior surfaces. However it will remain on the underside surfaces. The TDS for the etch primer mentions nothing about what to topcoat it with. Rustoleum suggested another one of their rattle can fill primers. The folks at TCP Global responded several times but will NOT make any recommendations. Even when asked what primer can be used over ANY etch primer they refused to answer the question. I am now left to guess what to use.


If you don't want to remove it, take the crapshoot, scuff it, shoot it with some epoxy and wait to see what it does.

What part of the "underside" are you talking about? Can you use bedliner?
Sent by the random thoughts from the voices in my head...

User avatar

Top Contributor
Posts: 1860
Joined: Sun Dec 16, 2012 4:46 am
Location: Canberra
Country:
Australia
PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2021 8:35 pm
Most epoxies that I've used specifically state NOT to use over etch primer, So, I'd suggest that epoxy is not a solution.

So, what can go over this stuff? Well, good old 1K primer is what would have been used over etch, before 2K products hit the scene. The etch will need to be scuffed well and the 1K applied evenly but not thick - you just want it as a sealer essentially to isolate the etch primer. Give it lots of time to fully cure. Then a sealer and top coat. Not the same level of corrosion protection as with an epoxy, but no worse than used to be achieved, 30 years ago.

There are some other possibilities as well. Some wash primers can go over an etch primer, as can some 2K sealers. You really need to do your homework here and read the TDS sheets for a whole range of products. You need to make the right decision because no-one will warrant their product over another company's.

There is, maybe, another option. Tamco are well regarded for their technical knowledge and approachability as well as the quality of their products. Maybe give them a call and explain what you have and ask what they have that might work. Certainly a better option than taking a recommendation from some random website with a bunch of blokes who pretend to be painters. :P

I'm sure that OP has berated himself enough, so not criticising here, just making the comment for future readers on how important it is to research and make product choices correctly, long before you ever pick up a spray gun. Reading TDSs until you're blue in the face. Seriously, I can't believe that a company as big as Rustoleum would produce a product like this etch primer, put together a TDS and, in that, make absolutely no mention of what can be used over it and then take the same position over the phone. Truly unbelievable and, to me, a very strong reason to stay away from them.
Chris



Settled In
Posts: 10
Joined: Wed Jul 21, 2021 10:23 am

Country:
USA
PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2021 2:03 pm
NFT5 wrote:I'm sure that OP has berated himself enough, so not criticising here, just making the comment for future readers on how important it is to research and make product choices correctly, long before you ever pick up a spray gun. Reading TDSs until you're blue in the face.


Amen, and I'm not being religious. I jumped too fast and did not do my homework first. I just did not want it to flash rust, the sandblast guy's strong warning made me panic to get it covered. Anyway, I will once again take your advise and contact Tamco for further guidance.

Thanks!



Settled In
Posts: 10
Joined: Wed Jul 21, 2021 10:23 am

Country:
USA
PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2021 8:22 am
Well, after much delay, likely spring now for final painting, I purchased acrylic lacquer paint and lacquer primer from TCP Global. Primer is speced to be compatible with etch primer, although not specifically my rattle can rustoleum. I removed the etch primer from top surfaces and now only the underside paint will still be in question. I want to thank folks for their comments/suggestions, especially NFT5 who guided me to use manufacturer product support resource available to even the most inept.
Previous

Return to Body and Paint

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: ot1138 and 81 guests