Beginner paint equipment and materials advice

General Discussion. Make yourself at home...read, ask and answer!

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2021 2:22 pm
Hi everyone,

I've been studying this forum for awhile and have been learning a lot. I finally registered so that I could ask for your advice on undertaking my first DIY paint job.

The subject is a 1960 MGA street show car. It's a beautiful vehicle which was painted with single stage approximately 20 years ago and sanded/polished beautifully. Unfortunately, the primer appears to be failing and the paint is lifting off of the vehicle in many places... so it looks like I will need to bring it back to bare metal.

I would like to redo the paint with a two stage system and have been thinking about Deltron ($$$). So my first question is if I could use primer and clear from another supplier to reduce costs, and if so, what products could be recommended for this?

Secondly, I am looking for recommendations for mid-level turbine sprayers (I assume 5 stage) that would be suitable for this repaint. While I might paint another vehicle in the future, I'm especially interested in a turbine sprayer as I have many other paint projects that it would really help with.

Please note that I already have a small compressor that I rarely use so I'm not looking to upgrade it unless I was absolutely forced to.

Thank you very much for your feedback!

Board Moderator
USA
PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2021 2:43 pm
Deltron, huh,..... an uneeded skinning of your wallet for no good reason. Former PPG guy here talking. NO problems with the quality but the prices have just sailed off the end of the known planet. My suggestion would be to check out the Store Front button up top and look at the Tamco line. Quite a few of us here have come from other paint lines and now use the Tamco. They even have a PPG 2021 clear clone coating. Personally, I'd go with their high solids Euro Clear. I just finished up a project with all Tamco including their new high build epoxy primer. Take a look here and head to about the 4th page to start the paint work.... viewtopic.php?f=12&t=27971&start=0
I'm fairly sure Chris (head site guy here, also runs that store) could also get you a quote on base coat if you supply a paint code.
Okay, so the turbine thing. Honestly, I'd rather send you a private message on what I am currently recommending if that's okay?.......
Metal, wood, fiberglass, we work it all... www.furniturephysicians.com We can restore the irreplaceable!

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2021 3:09 pm
I had previously ruled out Tamco for base because I incorrectly thought they wouldn't match my color. However, I just read that a little more carefully and it looks like they should be able to mix the original OEM color (just not a chip from my car, which isn't necessary in my case).

I will study up with the link you provided to better educate myself on the options.

And yes, please PM me. I would greatly appreciate your recommendations!

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2021 11:48 am
So I just talked to Tamco and I have to say that this was some of the best presales customer support I've experienced with a company. I first chatted with the tech help line and they answered all of my questions in just a few minutes (saved me a bunch of time and guesswork). Then the color matching department found the exact OEM match for my '60 MG.

Between that and Darrel's many helpful posts, I believe that a turbine sprayer and Tamco paints is the right way to go.

For anyone else considering this in the future, here are some pointers I received from Tamco on using their paints with a sprayer:

* 1.3 needle will work for primers if using reducer (4:1 ratio) but 1.8 is better.
* Spray epoxy primer down medium as the first protective coat. Let dry for 12 hours. Follow that up with filler and 5300 high build primer.
* You have 7 days to cover the epoxy primer without needing to sand it.
* Don't get cheap filler - it's too hard to sand (any recommendations for a good brand?)
* If it's your first time spraying clearcoat (like me), they recommend using 4100 or 4105. Graduate up to other types once you get some experience.
* They recommended either HR1370 (medium) or HR1380 (slow) reducer for primer depending on temperature. I'm inclined to go with slow given that turbines are said to run hot.

^^^ Please feel free to correct me on the above :-)

Top Contributor
USA
PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2021 10:17 pm
ot1138 wrote:.........
* Don't get cheap filler - it's too hard to sand (any recommendations for a good brand?)..........
* They recommended either HR1370 (medium) or HR1380 (slow) reducer for primer depending on temperature. I'm inclined to go with slow given that turbines are said to run hot.........

Evercoat makes a good product, either Rage or Rage Gold.

I agree with using the slow reducer because of the heated air. You can
coil the air hose in a bucket of ice water to cool it down.

I'd recommend you use the viscosity cup when mixing the brew. Turbines
are sensitive to thick paint, and generally require more reducer than normal.

I have a Fugi 4 stage (Darrel recommended) that sprays a wicked paint
job...
:goodjob:
"If you can't move it, paint it." - U.S. Army

Return to Body and Paint