How to keep body lines straight?

General Discussion. Make yourself at home...read, ask and answer!

No Turning Back
USA
PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2021 10:03 pm
I am getting ready to finish off the hood of my Squarebody C30. I took this hood off of a old Suburban that I stripped for parts.

I have the metal work to a pretty good point, I have epoxy primed, painted and cleared the underside of the hood after bringing it to bare metal.

I plan on hitting it with a DA and 220 or maybe 320 as I have it pretty straight. Then shoot some Grey Evercoat 4:1 Super Build (Because I have it in the Pig Barn), then some reduced black epoxy as a sealer (again because I have it) then black BC (solid, not metallic) and clear.

My question is: How do I keep the body lines nice and crisp while sanding the HB primer? Use tape on one side and block to that?

90 Burb Hood (2).jpg

90 Burb Hood (1).jpg
Sent by the random thoughts from the voices in my head...

No Turning Back
PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2021 6:32 am
I'll leave the (how to) to the more experienced painters, but here is a more revealing method of checking just how crisp your lines are.

Top Contributor
PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2021 10:55 am
OldFatBald wrote:I am getting ready to finish off the hood of my Squarebody C30. I took this hood off of a old Suburban that I stripped for parts.

I have the metal work to a pretty good point, I have epoxy primed, painted and cleared the underside of the hood after bringing it to bare metal.

I plan on hitting it with a DA and 220 or maybe 320 as I have it pretty straight. Then shoot some Grey Evercoat 4:1 Super Build (Because I have it in the Pig Barn), then some reduced black epoxy as a sealer (again because I have it) then black BC (solid, not metallic) and clear.

My question is: How do I keep the body lines nice and crisp while sanding the HB primer? Use tape on one side and block to that?

90 Burb Hood (2).jpg

thats a good way with the tape. a lot of times I'll just free hand it with a good guide coat and posibly a custom sanding block or pad, and take your time. use a fairly heavy grit 180,220 so it cuts flat you may need to reprime? but the shape is there.
Jay D.
90 Burb Hood (1).jpg
they say my name is Jay

Top Contributor
USA
PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2021 9:37 pm
:goodpost:
Yep, mask off and then detail/hand sand the sharp creases.

OldFatBald wrote:........then some reduced black epoxy as a sealer (again because I have it) then black BC (solid, not metallic) and clear............

For non-poly black, a single stage will give a deeper looking black.
Just something to consider...
"If you can't move it, paint it." - U.S. Army

No Turning Back
USA
PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2021 10:19 pm
NightTrain wrote::goodpost:
Yep, mask off and then detail/hand sand the sharp creases...
For non-poly black, a single stage will give a deeper looking black.
Just something to consider...

NightTrain, do you mean "Non-Metallic" or....? (Yes I will continue to ask newbie weekend hack questions)

And will SS give a deeper look? When I first started this hobby a couple of (ok, few) years ago, it was to paint speakers that I build in Piano Black. I was told then to use SS then follow it with a clear flow coat. Then I was told to just use BC, then I got distracted because they would now label me ADD!

I will definitely try the tape thing as I don't want to screw it up now. Though I am not looking forward to that little kinda vertical area of the hood going front to back.
Sent by the random thoughts from the voices in my head...

Top Contributor
PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2021 11:42 pm
i have noticed base coat black can have a very slight brown look to it if the sun hits right, i see it most people probably wouldn't. i like S/S for black, and don't put clear over it. what makes that deeper look is being SMOOOOTH, no o/p of any kind, no wave no sand scratches, perfectly flat and buffed to a mirror finish. i don't have the code right now but 1952 Plymouth black is the best code I've found.
Jay D.
they say my name is Jay

No Turning Back

USA
PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2021 7:16 am
My 'go-to' for a great, deep black, that almost looks like black nitro lacquer, is to use single stage ( I like HOK's single stage uro). Paint until covered, then put 2-3 more coats on, mixed half and half with the same company's clear. Sand and buff. Fooled a LOT of people with that one. Almost couldn't convince the owner of a 64 Galaxy that it wasn't lacquer, years after it was painted and needed touch up (my old boss let me paint the car, but didn't tell the owner anything about it)

Top Contributor
USA
PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2021 9:30 pm
OldFatBald wrote:........NightTrain, do you mean "Non-Metallic" or....?.......

Yes, I was referring to non-polychromatic; no metallic or pearls, just
straight-up on-the-rocks black.
"If you can't move it, paint it." - U.S. Army

Return to Body and Paint