Evercoat Feather FIll questions

General Discussion. Make yourself at home...read, ask and answer!

Non-Lurker

USA
PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2021 1:20 pm
I'm doing the final paint prep on my '52 Jaguar and have some questions about the Evercoat Feather Fill that I'm using. This is the first time I've used Feather Fill, so my questions may be a bit basic. Just hoping someone can help me.

First off, I love how this material works. It lays on thick and sands really easy. My problem is not so much working with it after application, but the application process itself. I'm using a DeVillbiss FLG4 gun with a 2.0 tip. For the most part it's spraying well, but I'm having a problem with the gun stopping up and the material setting up very quickly in the gun. I'm having to completely clean the gun between every cup as it starts setting up almost immediately. My shop is 75 degrees, so I don't think temperature is the issue. I've found I can only mix about a half cup at a time or it gets too thick to spray by the end. I'm following the directions very carefully about the filler/catalyst ratio, so think I'm doing that right.

I'm hoping I'm doing something wrong that can be corrected as I really want to use it, but It's a real pain right now applying.

Top Contributor
PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2021 3:27 pm
75* is warm for that stuff. did it say in the info sheet if useing in hot weather you could back off on the catalyst some? i don't use it much, but warm temps really accelerate the reaction time. i would contact Evercoat an see what they have to say, maybe they have a retarder available. there web site says it has approximately a 70 min. work time @ 75* maybe you just need to speed up some.
Jay D.
they say my name is Jay

Top Contributor
USA
PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2021 4:18 pm
you can add 5% acetone to slow it down, 2.0 is small IMO

2.5 min, i use a 3.0 on larger jobs, i mix 6 cups at a time at 70degrees
Experienced Trained Certified

SATA Spray Equipment Germany
Axalta ChromaBase Elite Standox Imron 5000 6000
PPG Delfeet Deltron Global Matthews
Sherwin Williams Ultra 7000 Genesis
Valspar DeBeer LIC
Akzo Nobel Sikkens Lesonal

Non-Lurker

USA
PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2021 6:00 pm
Thanks for the information. I do think I'm going to look for a larger nozzle. I'm sure that will help. I do cool the shop down as it's air conditioned, but I have a bit of a problem. My shop is attached to the house, and, even though I've tried to seal everything up, fumes still get into the house, so I've gone to putting an exhaust fan at one door, and opening a door at the other end, which sucks all the fumes outside. Unfortunately, it also sucks all the cool air out at the same time. I've been shooting early in the morning to have air as cool as possible, but may have to wait a bit for fall to kick in.

I did have one more thought that might have a bearing. I'm mixing the hardener based on weight of the two components. I got to thinking that this stuff is pretty heavy. and 2% by weight might be too much hardener. I think I'll do some testing to see if 2% by volume is any different.

Thanks again for the help.

Top Contributor
PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2021 9:59 pm
https://evercoat.com/images/ePIM/origin ... US-ENG.pdf here is some info. i would think mixing by weight would be way off 2% of what ever a quart of part A is, is way more than the 3/4 oz tube of hardener.
Jay D.
they say my name is Jay

Board Moderator
PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2021 9:30 am
I have sprayed it with a 1.8 tip but it required reducing with Acetone like PainterDave said.
Mixing ratio is critical, so no guess work allowed and you better be completely ready to spray before you mix it.

If I remember correctly, there are 4 tubes of hardener per gallon of primer. Hence one tube per quart. Now if you hold the hardener tube with the nozzle down, you will see 4 marks on the tube, hence each mark contains enough hardener for 8 oz.

Acetone works best for reducing and cleaning.
1968 Coronet R/T

ACTS 16:31

Top Contributor
PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2021 10:05 am
'68 Coronet R/T wrote:I have sprayed it with a 1.8 tip but it required reducing with Acetone like PainterDave said.
Mixing ratio is critical, so no guess work allowed and you better be completely ready to spray before you mix it.

If I remember correctly, there are 4 tubes of hardener per gallon of primer. Hence one tube per quart. Now if you hold the hardener tube with the nozzle down, you will see 4 marks on the tube, hence each mark contains enough hardener for 8 oz.

Acetone works best for reducing and cleaning.
:goodpost:
Jay D.
they say my name is Jay

Top Contributor
USA
PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2021 1:50 pm
badsix wrote:https://evercoat.com/images/ePIM/original/TDS_100710_FEATHER-FILL-G2-3.2021-US-ENG.pdf here is some info. i would think mixing by weight would be way off 2% of what ever a quart of part A is, is way more than the 3/4 oz tube of hardener.
Jay D.

2% of 32oz = 0.64 ounces so no not very far off at all considering its a .75 oz tube.

get you a 2.5 tip, acetone and youll be good, dont mix more than you can spray
Experienced Trained Certified

SATA Spray Equipment Germany
Axalta ChromaBase Elite Standox Imron 5000 6000
PPG Delfeet Deltron Global Matthews
Sherwin Williams Ultra 7000 Genesis
Valspar DeBeer LIC
Akzo Nobel Sikkens Lesonal

Top Contributor
PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2021 10:52 am
i didn't figure it out but its closer than i thought. i don't use it much but will the acetone slow it down or just reduce it. if a person has everything ready and knows what he wants to do you shouldn't have trouble spraying a gun full.
Jay D.
they say my name is Jay

Board Moderator
PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2021 2:39 pm
badsix wrote:i didn't figure it out but its closer than i thought. i don't use it much but will the acetone slow it down or just reduce it. if a person has everything ready and knows what he wants to do you shouldn't have trouble spraying a gun full.
Jay D.

Just reduces it. This stuff is basically spray on body filler, it will harden whether you are ready or not.
1968 Coronet R/T

ACTS 16:31
Next

Return to Body and Paint