Painting interior stripes for restoration

General Discussion. Make yourself at home...read, ask and answer!

Settled In

Australia
PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2021 8:02 pm
Gents

Just wondering what the best practice is to restore / repaint the interior console stripes - see below picture of the white lines I need to redo...

https://photos.app.goo.gl/vgwcynyDyhzHgtSJ8

I could only think of a paint pen / touch up paint brush but not sure how durable that would be? I'm thinking if I tried to mask it up it would be a nightmare and I would get paint bleeding through.

Regards

Adam

Top Contributor
USA
PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2021 9:03 pm
Your best bet would be 1-Shot brand paint.
It's what pinstripers use, and it's pretty durable.
There's also a hardener you can add to it.
"If you can't move it, paint it." - U.S. Army

Settled In

Australia
PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2021 10:06 pm
Thanks mate.

Looks like that is exactly what I need...just got to confirm it's suitable on plastic

Top Contributor
Australia
PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2021 3:55 am
G'day Adam.

The bad news is that you will never get those lines painted straight freehand. You will have to mask.

The good news is that there are masking tapes made for jobs like this. 3M make a range called Fineline which comes in widths of 3mm and 6mm which would suit. If the substrate is properly cleaned and the tape applied correctly you won't get bleeding under the tape and it will, using the right technique, pull off cleanly.

Downside is that it will take a while to mask that piece up. I would not try to do the FORD letters - they look okay anyway.

I also wouldn't use an enamel paint. Axalta have a vinyl/plastics paint in the Cromax range. Get in touch with your local distributor and have a chat to them.
Chris

Return to Body and Paint