First Time Tri Color Job

General Discussion. Make yourself at home...read, ask and answer!

No Turning Back

USA
PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2021 2:47 pm
Hi Guys,

Just starting a tri color job--never done one before. It is on a Suzuki Bike. I had the code and my supplier has blended it for me--it is solvent based and an exact match. Maybe a dumb question but, do I need to do anything different laying down the 2 layers before the clear? I have the recommended reducer and the clear. It's only 2 fenders. Naturally, I will follow the TDS to a "T". Any advice is really appreciated.

Thanks!!

Top Contributor
Australia
PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2021 8:30 pm
First, please pander to my OCD. The French flag is a tricolour, this paint is a three layer pearl.

Rebel Racing wrote:I had the code and my supplier has blended it for me--it is solvent based and an exact match.

How do you know that? Did they spray it out for you? Or did you do some spray out cards?

When painting these colours it is absolutely critical that you do, preferably at least three, spray out cards. Prepare the surface of all the cards with the recommended colour primer, then the solid base. Now vary the pearl coat by applying 1.5 coats, 2 coats and 2.5 coats on different cards. Clear them all and then compare to the panel you're repairing. Chances are that none will be an exact match but one will be close. When you paint your repair, apply exactly the same as you did on the card and then blend into the adjacent panel(s). Even better if you have room on the repaired panel to blend on that. One thing I can promise you is that if you don't blend then there will be a difference.

Remember that you're putting on 2 colours of base coat, so double the normal quantity. Don't bucket it on heavy, These colours get their colour and effect from a certain amount of see-through effect. So, if you use the wrong colour or shade of primer you'll see that all the way through. Light even coats and allow double the flash off time or you'll end up with solvent pop.
Chris

Board Moderator
PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2021 9:39 am
I have done two tri-stage paint jobs so far.

The first one was the plastic bumpers on this van.
IMG_0142.JPG

Damaged Front.JPG

The first stage is easy, just get true color coverage.
In this picture you can see the front bumper removed and painted base white. Notice the van has a gold tint to it and the bumper does not.
IMG_0144.JPG

Next step was to apply the pearl coat to get it to match the van. I started with 1 coat and let it flash and then added another coat and let it flash all the while comparing to the van to see if it matched. Once I had the match, 3 coats of clear.
Pearl Coat.JPG

Same for the rear bumper.
Rear After.JPG

The other tri-color was this '55 Chevy truck (in projects section) where the first coat was a very dark green that almost looked black.
Base Coat Stage 1.JPG

The second stage was a green/blue pearl coat. Blue only stood out when using the flash on the camera.
Hood Base Coat.JPG

Clear 2 cts back of cab.JPG

I had a terrible time getting this paint right. Jobbers tried to sell me a one step base coat but it lacked the blue pearl, then another sent me their version of the tri-stage but it didn't look right either and finally PainterDave helped me get the correct code so I could order what I needed.
1968 Coronet R/T

ACTS 16:31

* Banned *

USA
PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2021 10:59 am
Simple. Do a let down panel. I've only done hundreds of tri-coats and blended them. This info is readily available on pro sites. Cannot believe the people on this site who post all the time do not know proper procedures. You would be fired by noon if working in my shop.
Last edited by ScottB on Fri Sep 10, 2021 1:20 pm, edited 3 times in total.

No Turning Back

USA
PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2021 12:41 pm
NFT5 wrote:First, please pander to my OCD. The French flag is a tricolour, this paint is a three layer pearl.
LOL, I guess you are right when you put it that way,

Rebel Racing wrote:I had the code and my supplier has blended it for me--it is solvent based and an exact match.

How do you know that? Did they spray it out for you? Or did you do some spray out cards?

When painting these colours it is absolutely critical that you do, preferably at least three, spray out cards. Prepare the surface of all the cards with the recommended colour primer, then the solid base. Now vary the pearl coat by applying 1.5 coats, 2 coats and 2.5 coats on different cards. Clear them all and then compare to the panel you're repairing. Chances are that none will be an exact match but one will be close. When you paint your repair, apply exactly the same as you did on the card and then blend into the adjacent panel(s). Even better if you have room on the repaired panel to blend on that. One thing I can promise you is that if you don't blend then there will be a difference.

Remember that you're putting on 2 colours of base coat, so double the normal quantity. Don't bucket it on heavy, These colours get their colour and effect from a certain amount of see-through effect. So, if you use the wrong colour or shade of primer you'll see that all the way through. Light even coats and allow double the flash off time or you'll end up with solvent pop.[/quote]

O,K, thanks for the info, I'm just doing
fenders off a bike--the closest panel will be the tank so no real blending. The owner didn't think we could even get the paint code match from the supplier I use so I was thinking that he would just be looking at some chips to get something close. Looking forward to trying this. If I can, I will try to post up some pics when finished.
Last edited by Rebel Racing on Fri Sep 10, 2021 12:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

No Turning Back

USA
PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2021 12:52 pm
'68 Coronet R/T wrote:I have done two tri-stage paint jobs so far.

The first one was the plastic bumpers on this van.
IMG_0142.JPG

Damaged Front.JPG

The first stage is easy, just get true color coverage.
In this picture you can see the front bumper removed and painted base white. Notice the van has a gold tint to it and the bumper does not.
IMG_0144.JPG

Next step was to apply the pearl coat to get it to match the van. I started with 1 coat and let it flash and then added another coat and let it flash all the while comparing to the van to see if it matched. Once I had the match, 3 coats of clear.
Pearl Coat.JPG

Same for the rear bumper.
Rear After.JPG

The other tri-color was this '55 Chevy truck (in projects section) where the first coat was a very dark green that almost looked black.
Base Coat Stage 1.JPG

The second stage was a green/blue pearl coat. Blue only stood out when using the flash on the camera.
Hood Base Coat.JPG

Clear 2 cts back of cab.JPG

I had a terrible time getting this paint right. Jobbers tried to sell me a one step base coat but it lacked the blue pearl, then another sent me their version of the tri-stage but it didn't look right either and finally PainterDave helped me get the correct code so I could order what I needed.
Very nice work--thanks for the advice.

Return to Body and Paint