Newbie here trying to get into painting as a hobbyist

General Discussion. Make yourself at home...read, ask and answer!

Non-Lurker

USA
PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2021 4:11 pm
HI new to the forum and painting and was looking for some guidance. Figured this would be the best place.....Anyways I recently purchased a Devilbiss Plus and was told it was a great gun at a reasonable cost. Currently has a 1.4 tip and trying to see if thats good for primer, base and clear or should I go with the 1.3 tip? So Im looking for a PPS kit and was wondering if you all had some recommendations? Also I have a 30 gallon 150 PSI max at 8.6 scfm at 40 psi and 6.4 scfm at 90 psi will this spray gun work with it?

Any feedback, tips, parts I need would be great. For learning I have a few bumpers and a hardtop Im wanting to paint.

Thanks in advance!

Board Moderator
PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2021 4:21 pm
Welcome and glad you stopped here before spending any more money. It is always best to do your research first and then purchase your tools and products.

That being said, spend some time reading the articles in the Info Center and then the Sticky Posts at the top of each forum. We deal with a ton of questions that are asked over and over again by newbies and most of the information they need is already here.

After reading till your eyes hurt, you can also use the Search function for particular topics and questions.

Here's a link to get you started: https://www.autobody101.com/content/art ... ould-know/
1968 Coronet R/T

ACTS 16:31

Non-Lurker

USA
PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2021 4:24 pm
'68 Coronet R/T wrote:Welcome and glad you stopped here before spending any more money. It is always best to do your research first and then purchase your tools and products.

That being said, spend some time reading the articles in the Info Center and then the Sticky Posts at the top of each forum. We deal with a ton of questions that are asked over and over again by newbies and most of the information they need is already here.

After reading till your eyes hurt, you can also use the Search function for particular topics and questions.

Here's a link to get you started: https://www.autobody101.com/content/art ... ould-know/

Thank you and will do a bit more searching. Just didnt know where to start. Completely new to painting so figured I wait on purchasing anything else. Got a decent deal on the Plus so thats why I jumped on it. :goodjob: Glad to be here and hopefully one day Ill be good enough to provide others help with projects. lol

Top Contributor
PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2021 7:24 am
welcome to the forum. theres a lot of years of experience here.
your next purchase should be compressor. what you have might work for small parts like a motorcycle fender or gas tank but you dont have enough air capacity or cfm for anything bigger.
IF you try to use that compressor for small parts, air filtration is a must. that thing will run a LOT. if its an oilless pump, its going to build up a LOT of heat and moisture that must be removed.
one thing on compressors:
i have never read or head someone say,"i should have bought a smaller compressor."
i have read and heard a few times,"i should have bought a larger compressor."

Non-Lurker

USA
PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2021 1:13 pm
tomsteve wrote:welcome to the forum. theres a lot of years of experience here.
your next purchase should be compressor. what you have might work for small parts like a motorcycle fender or gas tank but you dont have enough air capacity or cfm for anything bigger.
IF you try to use that compressor for small parts, air filtration is a must. that thing will run a LOT. if its an oilless pump, its going to build up a LOT of heat and moisture that must be removed.
one thing on compressors:
i have never read or head someone say,"i should have bought a smaller compressor."
i have read and heard a few times,"i should have bought a larger compressor."

Thank you for the response and glad to be here and hoping to learn alot. As for the compressor its a oil less so as you stated its going to be building up alot of heat and moisture. Ill eventually upgrade but for now would really like to use what I have. Right now Im not planning on painting an entire car but as of right now its just two bumpers and a hardtop so hopefully this will hold.

Question Im going to start working on the bumper soon and it has a few tabs broken off which I know there are kits to repair these but does anyone have any recommendations on a good kit? Also needing to know what sand paper I should be using? Also needing a good flex seal. Any recommendations would be great. Looking at the bumper it appears that it has pieces of the paint chipping off at certain sections so Im assuming Ill have to take off as much paint in that general area and blend it in. I think thats going to be the hardest bumper to work on. The hardtop has a few deep chips but other then that I think I should be able to putty it and blend it and just scuff up the existing paint and spray base over it? Or do I still need to primer it?

Board Moderator
PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2021 6:00 pm
If the bumpers are plastic, you should read and post questions in the Fiberglass and Plastic forum. Please don't assume that you treat them the same as metal.
1968 Coronet R/T

ACTS 16:31

Return to Body and Paint