Not even close color

General Discussion. Make yourself at home...read, ask and answer!

Non-Lurker

USA
PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2021 1:44 pm
2014 Dodge dart, pcl code color,
2nd attempt at ppg/shopline paint match. Still a purple blue metallic, not a blue metallic. Guys at color vision state its correct, but other cars match my orginal paint look as well. Have you heard of this issue? Maybe a different paint company will have the correct formula? Cant believes that this color is on multiple years of vehicles and I'm the only one with purple blue
Attachments
16314721161353185777000338126819.jpg

Board Moderator
USA
PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2021 10:14 pm
Has anybody even mentioned "variants" to you? I would think that a color like this that crossed over several years might have many variations on that paint code. And, have you tried taking a gas cap off and having the color direct scanned for a match????
Metal, wood, fiberglass, we work it all... www.furniturephysicians.com We can restore the irreplaceable!

Non-Lurker

USA
PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2021 2:24 pm
I cut a section from the damaged door, and sprayed 1/2 of it with new color mix, tried to match with paint company color chart. Factory paint job matched, mixed did not. Store cleric said a scan of color probably would be same mix, so they did not try?? This is the 12th Dart I have rebuilt. And only this paint has not matched. Sent pics and mixing formula to ppg for info and help. I understand about slight shade, color issues in production, but purplish blue was never a dart color combo.
Attachments
1631478658306.jpg

Board Moderator
PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2021 5:58 pm
They obviously didn't mix it right. If that is their paint chip, they have the exact mix instructions to produce it.
Somebody got careless and they want you to pay for it. I would get the shop owner on the phone and explain to him what happened. Show him the chip and the actual paint color they mixed.
1968 Coronet R/T

ACTS 16:31

Top Contributor
PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2021 7:33 pm
:goodpost: yes i would politely complain they should mix you another can free. remember they don't have to, so the polite attack might get you the free one.
Jay D.
they say my name is Jay

Top Contributor
Australia
PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2021 8:37 pm
'68 Coronet R/T wrote:Somebody got careless and they want you to pay for it.

Maybe.....

But overwet application can cause the flake to sink and the carrier colour to predominate while not stirring the paint properly before use can cause the same problem. Too much clear can darken a colour.

What I find difficult to understand is why the colour wasn't checked against the original before that guard was sprayed, either just a basic stick match check or by doing it properly with a spray out card. Spray out cards cost just a few cents each and you use a tiny amount of paint - they will tell you if you have a match or not and allow you to correct before wasting time and money doing the whole job and wasting all that paint.

Beyond that, painting edge to edge is a recipe for disaster.
Chris

Non-Lurker

USA
PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2021 1:11 am
Learning experience, I had taped and covered car with plastic before I had bought paint. Assumed it would match, had 2 doors stripped of moldings, to paint inside and paint replacement door post and rocker panel. Had lots of parts on stands and benches getting paint. DID NOT notice color difference until tape removed and other parts mounted.
Being it's a common blue metallic, I assumed it would be close. It has been hot, so was working nights in the shop, under shop lights it appeared good. Last night I replaced 12 fluorescent bulbs with LEDs. Big change with working conditions.
Yes, fender to door is dramatic difference, was planning on blending down doors on left side, because needed to paint both right replacement doors.
I Quit, trying to find color issue, had 2nd paint mixture mixed, same result, PPG paint sending out representative to see the issue.
UPDATE, decided to give in and prep whole vehicle for repaint, sick and tired of dealing with paint color. Please note, I mix paint well, then measure, it is thinned 50% per factory spec. Again mixed well, strained into low press gun. During painting, I agitate paint cup by covering nose of paint gun, using the air supply to keep metal flake suspended.
Painting is like life, it sometimes turns into a learning experience. Hope to post finished pics tomorrow.

Top Contributor
USA
PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2021 10:32 am
Rotten wrote: Please note, I mix paint well, then measure, it is thinned 50% per factory spec.

50%, Wow, is that lacquer paint?
I've never seen a paint with that much reduction.
JC.

(It's not custom painting-it's custom sanding)

Top Contributor
USA
PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2021 12:17 pm
Here is your variants for DBC and Envirobase

you would be better off asking a collision shop to mix the paint for you,

the people behind the counter could really care less if it matches.
Attachments
PCL 2.jpg
PCL.jpg
Experienced Trained Certified

SATA Spray Equipment Germany
Axalta ChromaBase Elite Standox Imron 5000 6000
PPG Delfeet Deltron Global Matthews
Sherwin Williams Ultra 7000 Genesis
Valspar DeBeer LIC
Akzo Nobel Sikkens Lesonal

Return to Body and Paint