1994 chevy silverado C1500/ Has peeling clear coat

General Discussion. Make yourself at home...read, ask and answer!

Non-Lurker

USA
PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2021 5:17 pm
Thank you very much 68 coronet for your good advice.

Non-Lurker

USA
PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2021 1:56 pm
Ok, my truck is ready for primer. I have repaired all small dents,used filler,and used guide coat to make sure I don't have any high or low areas. Forgot to say I have sanded the truck all the way to bare metal. Like suggested here,I will be spraying 2 coats of epoxy.
I am going to wait for a couple of days for epoxy to dry good before sanding. My question is: What grit of paper do i use,120,180,or what grit do I use? Also,do I sand with dry or wet sandpaper? After I'm finished with block sanding the epoxy, Can I spray the urethane 2 K primer and than sand block again? Need some tips since this is my first time painting.
Of course I am not going to do any painting until I know the truck is completely ready.
I bought a cheap hood from a wrecking yard so I can practice.
Also, do I need two guns to spray,one for primer and one for base coat and clear coat.
I understand that the tips that I need are 1.3/1.4 for base and clear and 1.8 for primer.
Final question: My compressor is a 30 gallon, 155PSi,5.3SCFM,with a 1.6 HP.
What kind of spray gun can I get to use with this compressor?
Thank you all for your kind help.

Board Moderator
PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2021 7:25 pm
Compressor is too small in my opinion.

If you are sure your metal work is good, shoot two coats of epoxy and then the next day shoot 3 coats of 2k build primer. Make sure you wait the proper flash time between coats. (I use a 1.4 tip for epoxy primer and 1.8 or 2.0 tip for build primer.)

Let the 2k set for a day or more if you can, then guide coat and block sand with 180 to remove the guide coat. If everything looks good you can move on to wet sanding. I like to use guide coat at each stage. Start with around 320 grit and sand to remove guide coat, then move to soft block and 600 and repeat. This will ensure that all of the 320 scratches are gone.

You can clean it well and then let dry. Spray a sealer (optional) or go to your base coat.
1968 Coronet R/T

ACTS 16:31

Non-Lurker

USA
PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2021 11:06 am
Thanks again 68 Coronet for your help and advice.I really apreciate all of your help and also of others here in the group that have helped me too.

Non-Lurker

USA
PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2021 1:16 pm
Ok guys,back to work on my 94 chevy truck after having to go out of state for a few weeks. I will try to shoot the epoxy primer and than the 2K high build primer after that. I have a couple of questions? I picked up the epoxy primer while I was out of town but did not get the 2k urethane high build primer cause the guy was out of stock. Talking to a friend here in town about my project,he said he had a brand new can of 2K urethane primer and the activator to go along for a very good price. He did not use it cause his son decided to buy a new car rather than paint his older car. The question? The brand is SpeedOkote.It is a 2K urethane primer.Do you think this will be ok on my truck? Don't want to have any issues with this primer not working good with the base coat. I read the data sheet on it and it says to spray 2 medium wet coats . What is the difference between a medium wet and a wet coat? I am only going to assume here but I would think that if you want a wet coat, you have to spray a heavier spray or maybe get closer to the panel. Need some advice on that please. also, While spraying both the primer and the base coat,how far away from the panel should i spray,4 to 5 inches away or more? Do I spray at 50% overlap?
Thanks, as always for your great help and advice for a novice.
Previous

Return to Body and Paint