First Tri Coat Job & First Time For Clear With The AZ4

General Discussion. Make yourself at home...read, ask and answer!

No Turning Back

USA
PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2021 1:43 pm
Hi Guys,

With some trepidation, I did my first tri color job yesterday. It was a Sonoma red code from a Suzuki bike. It was 2 fenders. First layer of base laid down great with my AZ3 (that I use for all my bc's). I knew the second layer/color would really change the look but I really surprised how much it changed the depth of the paint--if that makes sense. It only got better as I did the clear--looks like it was dipped in glass. I'll post up a few pics. I still need to do a cut and buff in a day or so but even off the gun, I'd be happy to take them as is.

I really like the little AZ4 (I used for the clear) , I set it at full fan, dialed in about a 1/3 turn and then the fluid, full open and turned in a half turn. Whether that was right or not, it worked for me. My only concern was on the vertical surfaces, it does have a bit of peel--nothing that I can't deal with on the cut/buff but was surprised as I used the same technique as the horizontal angles. Maybe I moved too fast but am not sure. I did use a slow reducer--thought it would all flow out and on the top surfaces it really did. Part of me wants to hit it with 1500 wet and flow coat it but I know I will likely still get the odd bit of dirt and have to cut/buff anyway. "IF" I do decide to hit it with a 1500 all over, do I need to smooth out the ripples of peel on the sides or will they get buried in another coat of clear? I think that either way, that peel needs to be leveled.

So, from what I see, this AZ4 is my clear coat gun going forward ( for bike parts). I will post up pics later tonight. As always, thoughts/advice or even criticisms are always welcome.

Top Contributor
Australia
PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2021 2:19 am
That AZ4's a lovely little gun alright. Fan's a bit small for bigger jobs but on small parts she's a little ripper.

Are you running at the recommended 15psi?
Chris

No Turning Back

USA
PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2021 9:09 am
NFT5 wrote:That AZ4's a lovely little gun alright. Fan's a bit small for bigger jobs but on small parts she's a little ripper.

Are you running at the recommended 15psi?
Yes, right at 1 bar.

No Turning Back

USA
PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2021 11:32 am
Just a thought.......On my AZ3, I set it at 28 psi for base and up it to 32 for clear--I get mirror smooth finishes with that. I learned that if I shot clear at 28, it would show peel--another 4 lb made a world of difference for me.

Now, the AZ4 calls for 15 psi (1bar) from the tech sheet. I have only used it for clear and kept it right at 15 psi. As mentioned, the horizontal surface looks like glass-- a bit of peel on the vertical parts though. I'm going to do a test panel and try upping the pressure a pound or 2 to see what it does to the vertical pieces. I'm just a little confused that if it is atomizing fine on flat surfaces and flowing out nicely, why is it showing peel on a vertical.
Thoughts??

Top Contributor
PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2021 9:40 pm
i'm thinking you'll want to get the surface SMOOTH. anything you try to spray over is going to show, be it a scratch O/P or any other defect.
Jay D.
they say my name is Jay

No Turning Back

USA
PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2021 10:48 pm
badsix wrote:i'm thinking you'll want to get the surface SMOOTH. anything you try to spray over is going to show, be it a scratch O/P or any other defect.
Jay D.
Totally agree with you, another layer of clear might make the peel shinier but it will still be textured. I think I will give it a cut and buff in the small area of peel but I bet I will end up giving it a flow coat. I got almost zero dirt in it and the weather is supposed to be a bit cooler so no bugs at all. After really looking it over, I doubt the owner would really notice it all but I want it to be as perfect as I can make it.

No Turning Back

USA
PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2021 10:53 pm
Update....wet sanded and re-cleared and a cut and buff...I like this tri color stuff!
pearl3.JPG
pearl2.JPG
pearl1.JPG
pearl4.JPG

Board Moderator
PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2021 11:16 am
Very nice. :goodjob:
1968 Coronet R/T

ACTS 16:31

No Turning Back

USA
PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2021 12:00 pm
'68 Coronet R/T wrote:Very nice. :goodjob:
Thankyou very much! It means a lot coming from a pro. I now have the confidence to take on other tri color jobs--it was fun.

No Turning Back
USA
PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2021 1:00 pm
Very nice!

What do you use to cut and buff the small parts like those?
Sent by the random thoughts from the voices in my head...
Next

Return to Body and Paint