Is this Solvent Pop or ????

General Discussion. Make yourself at home...read, ask and answer!

No Turning Back
USA
PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2021 9:56 pm
I painted my hood today with Single Stage.

I first shot some black sealer, HOK KD3000 mixed 4:1:2 with a 1.3 tip (Sagola 4600) at about 32 psi. The temp in the Pig Barn was just under 90.

Waited just under 30 minutes, then used the same gun to shoot the SS.

I think that I got the first coat a little too light, but the second coat I applied a little heavier of a coat.

* Is this solvent pop or did I do something else wrong.

I will wet sand the whole hood and shoot a flow coat but it sure is frustrating to me as I never seem to be able to get it in one shot.

KDA 3000.jpg

Black Hood (2).jpg

Black Hood (3).jpg

Black Hood (1).jpg
Sent by the random thoughts from the voices in my head...

Top Contributor
PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2021 11:10 pm
sorry, but i don't see anything other than a nice gloss and a slight bit of wave, looks good to me. solvent pop is going to be all over or at least in clusters. the defects are small compared to most fish eyes. sovent pop is sometimes confused with fish eyes, fish eyes are going to be sporadic, usually. two here 4 over there 1 somewhere else. they can be in clusters, and larger than solvent pop. your air was good and dry ?
Jay D.
they say my name is Jay

Top Contributor
Australia
PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2021 2:13 am
I can see a few spots towards the front, on the left hand side, maybe a couple a bit further back on the right.

Can't see from the photos what they are, though, but my first thought is just big dust nibs.

If they sand down flat, i.e. no depression like a crater, then you might be able to just go ahead and buff.
Chris

Board Moderator
USA
PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2021 8:37 am
Blew up your pic.s and throwed some filters over for contrast. I think it was more likley something from the air as it is so little and so random. Solvent pop should be seen kind of all over as aready said. Could have been some minor pinholes/defects that trapped solvents.....
Metal, wood, fiberglass, we work it all... www.furniturephysicians.com We can restore the irreplaceable!

No Turning Back
USA
PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2021 2:24 pm
badsix wrote:...your air was good and dry ?
Jay D.

This is my air filtration system and I did change out the desiccant early that morning. Only my spray guns are hooked up to the last desiccant QC3 filter.

I don't ever get anything out of the second set of Pneumatic Plus filters so hopefully my air is clean.

I thought that the spots in the hood were craters, but this morning under a closer look, they are bumps.

* So, maybe just dirt/garbage?

I did wet the floor but I had also done a little bit of glazing and sanding that morning at a couple of pin holes in my filler that I hadn't noticed until I had brought the hood back inside to prep for paint last Friday. I couldn't find my USC Icing and had to pick some up on Saturday morning. But the Pig Barn is an old rickety wood building that leaks a lot and it was windy that morning.

Air Wall.jpg

Rapid Air (1).jpg

PneumaticPlus (1).jpg

QC3.jpg

Top Contributor
PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2021 2:56 pm
you're going to have to make yourself a booth in the old barn. you defiantly have the feel for laying the paint on AND a good understanding of the process. :goodjob:
Jay D.
they say my name is Jay

No Turning Back
USA
PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2021 4:58 pm
badsix wrote:you're going to have to make yourself a booth in the old barn. you defiantly have the feel for laying the paint on AND a good understanding of the process. :goodjob:
Jay D.

Thank you guys for all of your help.
And actually if the plans keep moving forward, the current Pig Barn will be removed and replaced with a new PB2, bigger, better and more lighting!

The room on the left with the smaller door would be partially used for spraying.

PB2 Front Elev.JPG

PB2 Plan.JPG

Board Moderator
USA
PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2021 10:32 pm
Ooohh... big votes for PB2! That is an upgrade my friend..... If you go LED shop lights get the frosted tube ones.... the regular individual LED tab style lights shift "gold" hues into your paint.
Metal, wood, fiberglass, we work it all... www.furniturephysicians.com We can restore the irreplaceable!

Top Contributor
Australia
PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2021 11:30 pm
OldFatBald wrote:* So, maybe just dirt/garbage?

I think so, OFB. From what I see of your wall setup the desiccant filter is the last thing before the line to your gun. If you replaced the desiccant that morning then you may have created a few dust particles that made their way through the line.

By the way, love PB2. Although bigger it's remarkably similar to what I'm building.
Chris

Return to Body and Paint