Acrylic Urethane / reducer

General Discussion. Make yourself at home...read, ask and answer!

Non-Lurker

USA
PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2021 12:32 pm
hello from Whidbey Island USA ....getting ready to shoot some 1-stage acrylic urethane and my questions are about reducers ......1) do I taylor my type of reducer to ambient air temp I plan to shoot in ? or temp & humidity ? 2) do I really need the reducer ? what are the drawbacks of using just the paint mixed with the catalyst ? ...I'm shooting Omni MTK #1 paint mixed with Omni MH167 catalyst so assuming I'd use MR series reducer, if I go with reducer ....lastly, shooting this out of my Starting Line HVLP gravity fed mini gun .....all insight, info & feedback on reducers appreciated, need some reeducation on reducers please, thanks all -

Top Contributor
USA
PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2021 7:51 am
The urethanes I've sprayed were pretty thin to start with and
didn't need any reducer.
They run easily full strength, I can't imagine thinning it more.
JC.

(It's not custom painting-it's custom sanding)

Board Moderator
USA
PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2021 8:25 am
^^^^^^^^^^Yeah, Omni especially... the budget bottom line of budget lines in PPG....
Metal, wood, fiberglass, we work it all... www.furniturephysicians.com We can restore the irreplaceable!

No Turning Back

USA
PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2021 8:42 am
Well, the answer is: if it needs it, it needs it. You DID mention using a mini gun. Some are fussier than others, and need a touch more reducer to get a good flow out. I've never used Omni, but what the other said must be true of it.

Top Contributor
PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2021 12:00 pm
i use the finish line gun all the time, i got it from the DuPont Guy i like it for certain jobs. i'm using it right now and used it yesterday to spray some inner door areas and a few smaller parts. urathane is thin, but i would reduce it some. the problem trying to use it unreduced is the viscosity is to hi for your gun ( all guns are different) it won't atomize properly and you'll tend to apply it to thick to get it to flow out resulting in runs. if you reduce it, the paint viscosity is lower ( more liquid ) this lets it spray much better and go on thin and smooth. with the right reducer it flashes quick and smooth, you have a much less chance of runs.
Jay D.
they say my name is Jay

Fully Engaged

New Zealand
PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2021 2:14 am
Freddy, I'd looked at the data sheet (fact sheet) for the PPG paint I was spraying and it gave viscosity data for using a DIN 4 cup. It was something like 17 seconds for the cup, which is sort of a mini funnel, to empty. So it doesn't matter about temperature, it's all about the viscosity of the paint. The data sheet also talked about spray gun tips so if you have a smaller tip you would use the "faster" viscosity of the range it gave.

Top Contributor
PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2021 11:13 am
Bill911 wrote:Freddy, I'd looked at the data sheet (fact sheet) for the PPG paint I was spraying and it gave viscosity data for using a DIN 4 cup. It was something like 17 seconds for the cup, which is sort of a mini funnel, to empty. So it doesn't matter about temperature, it's all about the viscosity of the paint. The data sheet also talked about spray gun tips so if you have a smaller tip you would use the "faster" viscosity of the range it gave.
your on the right track here, BUT viscosity and temp range are two different things. lets say if you use a fast reducer in a hi temperature situation. your going to have the same viscosity measured by your cup with the fast reducer or if you used a slow reducer. the fast reducer in hi temps is going to cause major problems, no mater what the viscosity is. viscosity regulates how the material comes out of the gun with a certain sized tip and air cap.
Jay D.
they say my name is Jay

Return to Body and Paint