Does anyone know the minimum temperature of Eastwood epoxy?

General Discussion. Make yourself at home...read, ask and answer!

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2021 8:02 pm
I recently finished metal repair on my 1973 Plymouth Duster. At the very least I want to coat everything in epoxy primer, and right now it’s still pretty warm in South Eastern Pennsylvania. However, I was hoping to make a push and finish body work before the winter. In October the weather is pretty much low to mid 60s during the day and mid to low 40s at night. I can’t find anything on Eastwood’s tech sheet about application temps. I looked up Kirker because I heard that’s what it actually is and their tech sheet is identical.

Top Contributor
Australia
PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2021 9:54 pm
Most epoxies I've used specify around 20C, but I've used down to about 15C without problem. You need at least 4-6 hours at this kind of temperature toget the reaction happening and it will continue then even if the temperature drops a bit. Always best to stick it out in the sun for a day or two though, especially if you know you'll be blocking it anyway.

why not do the epoxy now, while it's warm. You can do your bodywork later, even if you have to strip some of the epoxy off in specific areas and if it's just filer then that can go over epoxy, no problem.
Chris

Top Contributor
PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2021 10:36 pm
:goodpost: I've used it at about 55-60 and had it work, but below 60 is risky it just won't get hard. give it some induction time 15-20 minutes in a warm place not hot but warm 65 -70. Do as Chris said shoot it now. if you have areas that need more major work you can tape them off or spray around them. if you going to apply filler just d/a the area with 80 grit just enough to get a good profile.
Jay D.
they say my name is Jay

Return to Body and Paint