Chevy Silverado Paint/Clear Repair/Redo

General Discussion. Make yourself at home...read, ask and answer!

Non-Lurker

USA
PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2021 2:40 pm
I'm learning so much from the boards already. I think I just need confirmation on my approach, and any tips that you guys might like to offer..

2001 Chevy Silverado. Clear coat peeling on the hood, cab top, etc;. Not only has the clear stripped away on the top, but more importantly there are small 1/4" "cuts" that are scattered all over the top. Think hail damage in how it is spread out, but then instead of small round or circular dents-it has what look like very small scalpel incisions all over the top. Even after going over the top of the cab with 36 grit on an orbital sander I can still catch my finger nails in the "cuts". I have been reading that I most likely need to take this all the way down to bare metal, and then epoxy prime, then put regular primer on top of that, then block sand, then color coat, and then clear coat. The only issue I have is time... If I use an electric sander with 36 grit to take it all the way down to bare metal, I assume I will have to paint it immediately to stop it from rusting. I typically can only spend about an hour a day on the truck. That's it. Now I can do an hour a day every day for the rest of my life... But never more than that-at least at the present time. So... I guess I can tape off the truck, mix the epoxy primer, have it in the gun, sand the bejeesus out of the cab top, wax and grease remove, tack rag, and then spray 2 coats of epoxy primer. Stop for the night, and then get back on it the next day to spray the regular primer. I have already done the body filler work where there were some dents due to boards being put in the bed that were laid on top of the cab and created dents up there. The top is SUPER smooth after 36 grit, except the 1,000's of "cuts".

Am I missing anything? Could I not just spray a sealer over the current cab top, primer builder X2, block sand, primer X2, then color coat and clear? Seems like this would be a LOT faster. It's not a show truck. It's in fact a work truck. My reason for wanting to repaint the cab top is to protect it from the elements where the clear is gone, and I will also be adding a cowl hood to the truck so I wanted to paint the hood, and the cab top at the same time. I have a shop with an 80 gallon air compressor with a 6HP motor. I understand that this compressor is about the bare minimum to properly paint. But it's what I have to work with. I'll also need to purchase and plumb in some type of dessicant system and air filtration as I don't have that right now.

I'm rambling.. If anyone can offer some pointers I'd appreciate it.

Top Contributor
Australia
PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2021 6:56 pm
Take it back to metal. Those "cuts" have opened up the paint surface and what's underneath may be compromised.

You can just do sections, dictated by your available time. Sand, epoxy and then overlap the next section a bit.
Chris

Return to Body and Paint